Brand new in this hobby

Discussion in 'New Members' started by dion, 7 Feb 2010.

1. dion

dion

Hi, I am Dion and is only starting with this hobby now. Live in the Northern Cape. Would like to get some ideas about building my own tank. Idea is to build quite a big tank and would therefor like to know about "pros & cons" on this, as well as areas/pitfalls to watch out for. Tips on where to puchase glass would also be appreciated. Is there a special type of glass, except for being thick, that one should use?:helpsmilie:

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
    Dion

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hi dion and welcome to masa:)

marines are a fascinating hobby and doing things yourself not only saves you money but also gives great satisfaction. Unfortunately Ive never made a tank so i wont advise you on how to go about it but doing your research and getting peoples input into your plans will really help you in the long run:)

what size tank are you looking at (biggish) is all a little relative here. Do you have a sp[ecific area in the house you'd like to pit the tank, is so what size area do you have? Or is it that you like a specific kind of fish and thus want a tank to house it in?

Also remember that anything deeper that 750cm gets difficult to work in (and thus should be avoided) while the wider you go (around 1.5m if you can access the centerer from both sides) gives you a lot of room to work with regarding scaping and that helps alot with setting up a tank.

there are some very good tank builders on masa and I am sure they will give you some positive feedback:)

welcome and happy postings

4. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Hi Dion

welcome to Masa, I'm sure you will learn a lot from the forum.
    Be sure to contact Dory Pets Bloemfontein for help, and I know Cybervic, who is also in the forum stays in Kimberley....

Good Luck and have fun!

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to masa!

8. XV3

XV3

Hey Dion, welcome to MASA, well to start off with the guys here are extremely helpful and give allot of good advice, though I would encourage you to also do quite a bit of research of your own, from there you can ask questions and you will get the correct answers as there are so many things to watch out for and if not done well enough you could up spending all your money and not really getting what you want, I bought 4 skimmers before I was satisfied, so theres 7k already down the tubes which I could've spent wisely elsewhere if I planned.

9. dion

dion Thread Starter

Hi everybody, thanks for all the feedback and help, already feel like part of the family. Glad I mentioned about the "big tank", because the sizes that Crispin warned about, was already a great help. Maybe I should start from the beginning. A friend of mine always said that when everybody will eat a hamburger at the restaurant, Dion will be the one eating a cheese burger. In other words always different from the rest. What I had in mind was to make my bar on top of my fishtank. In other words 2 m long X 0.5 m wide X 0.6m deep. Could this work? What should I watch out for? Any warnings or help would again be appreciated.

10. Annoying

Annoying

It can be done for sure but for a bar you must just go safe and really make your glass thick enough to take extra stress. It's a great size is the bar top gonna be the fishtank hood? I'm sure the fish won't mind being in a bar;) (As of hulle alklaar nie genoeg syp nie!) If the tank is the bar top you might have a problem with the lighting but if the tank is at the bottom the lighting is gonna be fine but then your sump is gonna be the same size as the tank so a bit of extra planning is goin in there then.

11. dion

dion Thread Starter

Yes it is going to be the counter as well. I understand that the glass should be much thicker on top. After paging through the site, I am starting to think, that because of my "language disadvantage" I did not initially realize that marine-aquarium actually mean fish from the sea or salt water fish. Am I correct with this assumption? Would I be able to start a marine aquarium in the Kalahari, or should I rather go for a fresh water aquarium? Like I said I am totally new in this field and could go either way with this new hobby.

12. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

13. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

14. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

welcometomasa

Hi there Dion! Yes, I'm sure u could start your marine tank in the Kalahari, dont see why not... All u need is knowledge (which you will get plenty of on MASA), patience & a nice bank balance (especially because you plan on going big).

& BTW, once you get bitten by the MASA bug you can never go back to those "bath-water" tanks! LOL! :slayer:

15. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

16. Dane

Dane

Welcome to MASA dion, good luck with the new setup!

17. dion

dion Thread Starter

Hi Nemo, can one purchase live stock, live rock, fish, etc. in Johannesburg, or is it only available in areas next to the coast. The reason for asking, is because I was worried how I will get any live stock to my hometown, which is quite a distance from all big shopping sentra.

18. Gersh

Gersh

:pWELCOME TO MASA!! AND GOODLUCK WITH THE TANK BUILD,and yes you can purchase live stock live rock etc in jhb.

19. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

Hi there Dion! Yes u can, there are a number of Pet stores that stock marine livestock & equipment here in JHB. Please have a look at the MASA Sponsers, I'm sure Lanzo (Dorry Pets) will gladly help u out.
    You could easily have ur livestock & equipment shipped down to u...

20. dion

dion Thread Starter

Thank you for all the info received so far. Need to go to JHB for about two weeks and will be offline. Will log on once I'm back.

21. Renannchen

Renannchen

Hi Dion Welcome to masa i live in bloem, you can give me a call, always willing to help.

Recent Posts