brain dying

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm very upset - the first coral I put in my tank - a beautiful rose open brain - died over the weekend.

I've checked all my levels and everything seems fine. The only thing I've done is I added sand pollyps last week, put them where the brain was, and moved it to the other side of the tank.

It was doing great for a couple of days, and then just died over night.

For the last three months it was inflating every morning when the lights came on and seemed very healthy

what could have happened?

Percula Clown
Royal Gramma
Mandarin Goby

Fire Shrimp
Camel Shrimp
Blue Hermit
2x Turbo Snail

Yuma Ricordea
Sand Pollyps
Lemon Coral

Brain corals are generally pretty hardy, but they don't like strong water flow and are susceptible to declining water quality. Give us all the info that JD167 has asked for and maybe we can pick up the problem.

i've got a boyu TL-450 and havent changed the lighting (yet) so its the standard in-kit lighting.

Salinity = 1.023
Temp = 24 deg C
pH = 8.2
Alkalinity is in the normal range
Nitrates = 0.02

I'm wondering if this could be a starvation issue? I've been reading up and I think I've haven't been target feeding it as much as necessary and relying on photosynthetic feeding too much.

Like I say, it looked very healthy up until the day it died - inflating to about 5 times its shrunken size.

I'm wondering if this could be a starvation issue?
Not too sure, I've picked this up by Bob Fenner from WWM
I suggest no more than twice weekly feedings of Open Brain Corals... other authors/aquarists only advise one or two times a month.

It could also have been damaged. Sometimes LPS corals get damaged during collection and shipment and struggle to recover fully. They can also get brown jelly disease very quickly in this case. Other livestock may also pick on it if they sense it is damaged.

It could also have been damaged. Sometimes LPS corals get damaged during collection and shipment and struggle to recover fully. They can also get brown jelly disease very quickly in this case. Other livestock may also pick on it if they sense it is damaged.

Agreed. My Brain coral got damaged by my Heraldi and Jumping bean. I sumped it for about 2 months and it managed to recover. If you see the damage or signs early enough and isolate the coral it "might" recover, if you are lucky. I made the mistake of having angels with softies. That's how you learn...

I've just reserved and awesome red open brain to replace it (previous was green and purple - also magnificent)

will post pics when I receive it.

Back
Top Bottom