Brain Damage

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by ScottK, 18 Nov 2011.

1. ScottK

ScottK

I bought this brain a week ago and from what I can tell it is doing ok. I noticed this morning that the flesh seems to have disappeared from part of the skeleton, I am not sure if something has been nipping at it or if it is decaying as it was fine yesterday.

What should i do?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I don't know anything about Brain Coral but if I had to think "logically"..I would say..something nipping at it...? If it was "decaying" I'm sure it would be a gradual event...everyday it would look a bit worse off...IMO..I do obviously stand corrected as my knowledge of this Coral is 0...I did have the same problem with my Torch Coral...the flow was to strong and tore it from the skeleton...I mean like 2mm or so...changed my angle and it healed...I don't see how you could have the same problem..regarding flow, as it's at the bottom anyway and probably low flow anyway...hopefully someone with a bit more input can help...

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  4. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Is the brain fully inflated and looking healthy ?

Any other corals nearby that can touch it ?

5. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Nothing too close, closest would be my pin cushion to the left and some zoa's to the right.

I wouldn't say it's fully inflated at the moment. Here is a picture i took of it over the weekend.

[​IMG]

6. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Just check in the evening after lights out, if you see any critters or maybe some Sweeping Tentacles near it..

It looks a bit shriveled up in the picture.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  7. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

Howsit bud... Had a few brains... Suffered with the same problem.. Its usually a slow process when a brain is dying. I wat told to check my water parameters. Also the flow might be to strong.
    Is your parameters are fine, place in a different spot and see how it does and also maybe watch for critters and make sure other corals aint stinging...

Hope this helps...

Good luck

8. seank

seank

it does not look happy, on any of the pics. check your alk and ph and flow

9. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Here are my readings from this morning

Salinity 1024
    PH 8.4
    Nitrate <10mg/l almost unreadable
    Ph/os < 0.03 almost unreadable
    Mg 1320
    Ca 400
    Alk 6dkh

Bit worried about my Alk as it was 7.5-8 earlier this week. I am doing my weekly water change today and will start dosing Kh buffer again to get this back up.

I checked the flow and it was getting very little, I have angled the flow on that side even further away. I have also turned the brain around so the damaged side is less accessible due to some rock work.

The brain isn't on the floor of my tank, maybe 10cm or so from the bottom on a rock, is this ok? Should I maybe try feeding it some mysis or lance fish?

10. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

Yeah try feeding and see what happens... Maybe you should do a small water change as well... I got a strong feeling its your water...

11. seank

seank

it is fine, as long as there are no sharp edges on the rock that the flesh can "scrape" against

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Looks like it got damaged either by collecting or handling and packaging. Their flesh are very delicate and can even damage by just touching it and bruise the flesh between your finger and sharp skeleton.
    If your water quality is good and with some meaty feedings it might pull through. It will take some time to heal up. If algae is growing on the exposed skeleton, carefuly and softly brush it off with a soft toothbrush (that hasn't been used for something else).
    Just watch out for brown jelly desease.

13. 2balive

2balive

I sometimes finds that my new LPS go into a sulk when I put new ones into the tank, suspects that it may have something to do with the existing coral's "chemicals" in the water, I have found that a few spoons of carbon helps.

Also, an good iodine base disinfectant (SeaChem makes one) helps, I dip my LPS in it before I place them in the tank and it prevents any tears from getting infected. I am always in two minds however to take a coral out of the tank to dip as the handling may (again) injure it.

14. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

1. I did a water change yesterday, will check my parameters again this afternoon
    2. I tried feeding last night but I couldn't see it take anything. I turned all flow and lights off so hopefully it ate something
    3. I did a slight rescape (pic below) this morning to move the brain to the bottom and shield it from flow a little, is it ok with the Zoa's on the side? It was positioned just to the left of where it is on the rock.
    4. I am already running carbon, I did how ever change it yesterday
    5. Should I do an iodine dip this afternoon or give it a few days to settle?

[​IMG]

15. seank

seank

Leave it to settle first, you already disturbed it, no use in stressing it more with an iodene dip

Recent Posts