Bracing on new tank has cracked

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
hi,

my new tank has a bracing across the top middle and around the edges, i heard a noise and upon looking the center brace had cracked, is this bad? i added 5kgs of LR make a total of 25kgs
i have turned everything off, so much for cycling and emptied some water to relieve stress, should i take out more? the level is about 5-6cm below the top.
the front glass is ok though

here is a pic
14424963cf921859e.jpg

14424963cfaa780a8.jpg

Yes, this is bad, is it the cross brace or the one underneath? - either way, lower the water level to relieve the stress on the tank, it will crack if not.

its the one on top, goes length wise.

no rock against any glass, my mh is 20 cm above the glass...

man this sucks

You will need to drain the tank and replace it, sorry fella but sucks or not, it's better to happen now rather than with a tank full of fish and coral bursting all over the floor, if you can brace the tank with clamps etc you might get away with leaving some water in there, but personally i'd want to do it properly.

okie, will drain completly now

LR???

ok all water out
anyone want to see 31yr old man cry, come sit in my lounge.

i have place the LR in a 100ltr vat with a heater and powerhead, is this ok?

okie, will drain completly now

LR???

do you have a container or sump in which to put the live rock? if so keep it in the water you drain off and stick a power head in it, if not the drain down as much as you can without uncovering the rock then hopefully a local reefer could help you out.

done that, better safe than sorry, next tank is going to be made out of titanium :)

my first tank crack in 20 years of keeping fish

I'm so sorry to hear this dallas, and you were so excited about you're tank....
good luck!!

Damn, that's a real pity, but it's best to sort it out now.

thanks, atleast i heard it go, will get a new one :)

its the one on top, goes length wise.

no rock against any glass, my mh is 20 cm above the glass...

man this sucks

Its due to the front glass flexing, Your bracing looks way to thin, you should have quite thick glass here. my tank it 1.4m and i've used 12mm.

What is the length and the hight of the tank? Also, you SHOULD also re-inforce the rear side too, otherwise it will crack soon too.

the tank is 1220mmx450mmx450mm 6mm bracing around the top, and one thru the middle

well i am going to call the LFS in the morning, its not even a week old

I see your tank is 1220mmx450mmx450mm, I would use 8mm, if not 10mm for the euro bracing, depending on the glass thickness of the front and rear panes.

the tank is 1220mmx450mmx450mm 6mm bracing around the top, and one thru the middle

well i am going to call the LFS in the morning, its not even a week old

Let us know how that goes, good luck, but i see no reason why it won't be fixed/replaced free of charge.

they are cool, they are sponsors here, thats how i found them.

well now that i might get a new tank and have the chance, this was 1220x450x450, should i get a bigger tank with 10mm glass ??

seen a few nice setups here i could use to start again

they are cool, they are sponsors here, thats how i found them.

well now that i might get a new tank and have the chance, this was 1220x450x450, should i get a bigger tank with 10mm glass ??

seen a few nice setups here i could use to start again

All depends on your "wants" big is nice but also comes with a "nice" price.

What thickness is the front and rear panes of glass?

I doubt they'll take the tank back and replace it, probably just repair it, but if you do get lucky then I would go for something a bit wider and higher, perhaps 1220x600x600, gives you more room for aquascaping.

6mm all round

cool

i wouldnt trust this tank again, i mean the noises it was making, i was litterally expecting my lounge to be under water, i unplugged tv's, pvr etc...

Back
Top Bottom