BR/LR research

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been working on some base rock.
Now the research I am doing is what is the demand for good quality BR.
And at a later stage would won't to know if anyone would buy farmed LR.
Mods if I am out of line starting this thread please warn me!!!!

the base rock I have been working on has come out well it even better then the one in my new tank thread...... looks more like natural rock then ever....

the idea is to have it in the system for at least 6 months before it will be ready to go on the market...
so would be looking at, for example 2 vats to start full both with base rock and a 3rd that will only have live rock which will never be touched. once the 6 mouth wait is up sell from the vats and as one goes it will be replaced kg for kg. 6 month is just a number I have come up with. will make sure the new LR has plenty of visual life on it before it is ready to sell.

the idea is to have it in the system for at least 6 months before it will be ready to go on the market...
so would be looking at, for example 2 vats to start full both with base rock and a 3rd that will only have live rock which will never be touched. once the 6 mouth wait is up sell from the vats and as one goes it will be replaced kg for kg. 6 month is just a number I have come up with. will make sure the new LR has plenty of visual life on it before it is ready to sell.

this sounds like a good idea. except that every time you replace the new has to be added to the bottom so that you have your cure LR at the top to sell. with vats it might be a bit difficult i think. maybe a JOJO drum will be better as it is bit more spacious and can work within it a bit easier if you cut it open?

well that's sort of what i was thinking or even working a system running from left to right if you know what I mean..... so wont stack them to much on top of each other!!!

This is a great idea, also you can do "custom" rocks, overhangs, tables ect

well that is the plan they will be stylish LR's!!!! lol
Will have to start with base rock first to get some funding because its not going to be a cheap project...
But live rock at less then R120.00 sound good hey???

Last edited:
But live rock at less then R120.00 sound good hey???

less.... and you have caught a couple of peoples eyes on that lol. gr8 idea for starting from left to right. stacking new on left and selling from the right. or vice versa. i think you are on to something here.

I would love tobut just need to keep doing the research on the demand on this... dont want to be stuck with like 1000kg of LR and BR and all the equipment needed if no one supports this.... Its the situation analysis that is important to do this successfully!!!!

well there should be a lot of interest. there are normally a lot of people that wants either both or just the one. if the BR looks better than the LR then they would rather go for that. specially because you can make it more porous than the LR we get from LFS'. i for one would be interested in this

well there should be a lot of interest. there are normally a lot of people that wants either both or just the one. if the BR looks better than the LR then they would rather go for that. specially because you can make it more porous than the LR we get from LFS'. i for one would be interested in this
What LR is your LFS selling? Majority of the LR brought in are very porous just may have hitch hikers on them where the BR won't.;)

Last edited:
I would love tobut just need to keep doing the research on the demand on this... dont want to be stuck with like 1000kg of LR and BR and all the equipment needed if no one supports this.... Its the situation analysis that is important to do this successfully!!!!
If all else fails you will be able to sell it off to LFS same them bringing in heavy boxes of LR

normal Kenya LR. but what im saying is that you can make your BR more porous than even the LR we buy in an LFS. and yes i agree with the unwanted hitch hikers. they dont even carry Passports lol

Back
Top Bottom