Boyu wavemaker

Reaction score
Collected two of these pumps from liaquat (aquality) last night, and thought I would let you guys know what i think.

f1fe_1.jpg

Considering it is chinese manufactured, I had my doubts initially. It does remind me of the tunze nano streams, but at a fraction of the price. The build quality of the pump seemed okey, but the plastic hanging brackets (which i never use anyway) seemd a bit flimsy. Another down side for me is the short power cord, something i always find slightly irritating with all equipment I purchase.

Putting the pump onto the bracket was really easy, just be careful not to over tighten the screw, as the plastic seems easily breakable.
Placing the pumps was easy, and against my back glass, behind corals, it is not nearly as visible as my other pumps.
Once fired up, I was stoked at the performance.
The flow is nothing like my tunze stream or my seios. It is a wider more chaotic spread of flow. Difficult to compare flow velocity, as all my seios and my tunze pump vast amounts of water. Not sure if it was my imagination, but the flow close to the pump felt a bit stronger than my seio m1500 (6000lph) Another feature i really like, is that right in front of the pump is an area of no flow, seeming to spread out as I move my hand away from the pump. This enabled me to place the pumps behind colonies, and having flow spread around the corals.
I was sceptical to run the pump on an intermittant timer, as usually the on/off cycle can be rather noisy, as well as damaging to impellors. I am not sure if this pump has a soft start mechanism (have not bothered to read the instructions yet), but I cannot hear at all when it witches on. Whetehr the impellor is gonna last through the continuous switching, only time will tell.

Great little pump, enough said.

Cool thanks for the info Ivan.

I'd like to try one because in all honesty the Tunze Nano streams are a huge disapointment :(
Make no mistake I'm a big Tunze fan when it comes to the Streams in the 6000 range, IMO the best water mover on the market, but the Nano range sucks.

I dont have a resun waver, but have felt the flow, and would say the boyou spread the flow wider and more chaotic. The resun waver felt a lot more gentle.
Price was R950 for two.

I felt the flow from one of these and it's quite cool. I can best describe it as a "hollow cone" shape. ie. It doesn't actually push anything in the middle it's more like a "ring" of flow.

The pump itself did seem rather "solid" and was a bit smaller than I thought it would be. It's actually less noticeable than my nano stream seeing as the nanostream has that whole magnet+holder design.

Anthony why are the nano streams such a dissappointment? I'm pretty happy with a 6045 but I don't have a "proper" stream to compare it to...

I don't have a "proper" stream to compare it to...

thats why you are not disappointed.

Bear in mind my tank isn't very big, the nano stream only has to push the water 55cm and it does a pretty good job of it :p (but then isn't that what they're designed for?)

It's not the water movement, I didn't expect it to perform like a 6000 or 6100.

The plastic brackets are crap, they can't handle stop start operation, and not as in continous stop, starting as in switch it off to do mainenance and then it doesn't start up again. Noisy on start up, shearing impellors.
That pretty much says it all.

Ok... Mine doesn't seem to do that. Just went and switched it on and off quite a few times and seemed to handle it fine...

I agree with DR here on the Tunze Streams. They are pretty solid BUT the brackets are crap. They are made of a crap plastic that breaks easily and the 4 little feet that clip into the magnet break easily.
Will be giving the Boyu's go and see how they work. The controller reminds me of the Resun Wavers.

Back
Top Bottom