Boyu TL550

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by dutchdog, 27 Feb 2012.

1. dutchdog

dutchdog

Is the boyu 550 the nicest tank with curved glass and how reliable are these? See quite a few guys running these as a nano reef.

Is there any bigger one with rounded glass / Taller and bit wider?

Do these come with an overflow and inlet or does one need to modify one?

Your input is appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

I've got one and it's been running just fine for just over a year and 2 months...

The only issue I have with it is that the f'ing wooden stand has expanded to a point (from water spillage) that now my tank is leaning quite badly on one side and am having to keep a door open to prevent the thing from tipping any further... will have to DIY a stand for it one of these days...

But other than that, the tank is working perfectly fine :)

4. Mc

Mc

Hi dutchdog.
    I am running one of these 550s and it has been going really it all depends on what you want to keep and how much cash you want to spend. A lot of people, myself included do upgrade the tank a bit such as leds and skimmer, but it is possible to run it just as is. As far as the nano market goes there are a few other options out there like the red sea max 130/250D also a curved glass, which is a nice nano but costs quite a lot more, boyu also has a higher range nano called the HS 60. The other curved glass nanos that seem to be gaining popularity and I think has a few nice features is the aquaria range. I have also seen a few of these open top nanos (not curved glass) at the LFS and they work on an external filter/skimmer method but also don't compare to the boyu as far as price goes.

5. dutchdog

dutchdog Thread Starter

BOYU - HS 60[​IMG]
    Features & Specifications
    <LI class=text1>45 gallon / 180 L capacity <LI class=text1>Size: 52 x 58 x 63 cm <LI class=text1>Smooth rounded corners / 270° viewing angle <LI class=text1>150 Watt HQI / 20000 K° or 14000 K° <LI class=text1>Polished Stainless Steel Reflector
    <LI class=text1>Dual Fan Cooling System
    <LI class=text1>6 Led Moonlight <LI class=text1>450 GPH flow rate
    <LI class=text1>Power Protein Skimmer <LI class=text1>Power Denitrator <LI class=text1>Integraded 9W UV sterilizer <LI class=text1>150W Submersible Heater <LI class=text1>Complete hidden 3-stage Bio-Mechanical filtration <LI class=text1>Filtration media included: Sponge, activated carbon, ceramic rings and bioballs <LI class=text1>Innovative aquarium cover with variable sliding and elevation adjustment technology <LI class=text1>Sealed Polycarbonate ( Acrylic ) lens/chamber protects lamps, ballasts and others electronics components from moisture, water contact and corrosion

Ah I like that HS60 but the height is lower as a TL-550??

[​IMG] Zumbo AquariumTECHNICAL DATA:
    TANK SPEC
    SIZE£º510Lx570Wx670H(mm)
    L: 128L
    POWER SAVING LIGHT
    VOLT£ºAC230/115V
    FREQ£º50/60Hz
    POWER£ºPL-24Wx2
    SUBMERSIBLE PUMP
    VOLT£ºAC230/115V
    FREQ£º50/60Hz
    POWER£º20W
    QMAX: 1400L/h

This one is also bloody beautifull..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aquarium ZDT-800[/FONT]BOYU - Aquarium ZDT-800 with Stand [​IMG]
    Technical Specifications
    <LI class=text1>60 gallon / 240 litter capacity <LI class=text1>Dimensions: 81 cm (W) x 41 cm (L) x 75 cm (H) <LI class=text1>Smooth rounded corners <LI class=text1>2 x 20 W <LI class=text1>Polished stainless steel reflector <LI class=text1>Sealed Polycarbonate chamber protects lamp, ballast and others electronics components from moisture, water contact and corrosion

6. Mc

Mc

I haven't really seen the zdt-800 around.
    The only thing I can say about it is it doesn't really look like it includes much, it looks more like a freshwater tank, although Im sure you could convert it. The HS 60 comes with pretty much everything, the one I saw even came with a chiller. What do you think of the red sea max 130D?

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You might want to ask some of the LFS about the curved Tanks before you invest a lot of money and time...they don't seem to favour them...the Thread also mentions that it might not apply to the BOYU Range as they are plastic and not glass, but RiaanP and Nemos Janitor would be apply to confirm or deny that...my TL-450 sounds and feels like glass, but what do I know...in the beginning I was under the impression it was Acrylic, but then again, surely the Tank would've been VERY expensive...:confused1:..so honestly I can't say what my BOYU is made of...IMHO if it feels and sounds like glass...then it must be glass...:blush::)
    Another cracked Chinese Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    @Nemos Janitor @Dewald@Dorry @RiaanP

Last edited: 28 Feb 2012
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Glass.
    Well the Nanocube 24G is.

They came as a all in one unit. Basically with a little box at the back that is the filtration area. No overflow. If you want to set it up with a sump, then you need to either drill, or replace the back panel.

for those concerned about curved tanks and the tendency to break, the nano are not that at fault. Its more the bigger tanks, 3foot and up that is prone to breakage. And not all the makes either. It depends on the process used and how long they took to bend the glass. Too quick, and the glass stretch and is in fact thinner at the corners.

In my opinion, another problem with these cubes are the closed lids. They cause the tank to run at higher temperatures than is acceptable and they limit the light options. A lot of guys do change it. These tanks are not really designed for our sunny South Africa.

9. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Nicely said Riaan. ;)

A boyu, Aquaria, JVC and Red Sea Max is spesifically designed for marine with the overflow area at the back with small skimmer etc should not give you any problems as they are designed to withstand more presure than the normall bigger Jebo's, Juwels etc.

In some casses it is not the tank that causes any problems but the stand that causes the tank to crack. Because the stands are made from wood, they tend to swell after use as water is spilled. The survice of the stand then become un-even from the swelling and puts presure points on the tank causing it to crack.

10. dutchdog

dutchdog Thread Starter

Thanks all. Thats very informative. So A metal stand made is best way forward.
    I got someone who is a metalworker.

11. erratiC

erratiC

When I do my stand, I'm going to be plumbing in a sump as well. I'm going to be removing the back partition giving me more DT space and putting in a sump gives me more space for probably a TS1 and also space for a NP reactor.

Recent Posts