boyu tl550

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mrtickle75, 4 Jul 2010.

1. mrtickle75

mrtickle75

i am new to marine tanks only had it 2days is the bar that sticks out the skimmer and if so does the water have to be level with it or can it go above it:lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

A warm welcome to MASA! But we are an english speaking site btw..
    Just kidding ;-) Perhaps you'd be so kind as to break that slurry of words into complete sentences? There is a wealth of knowledge in the minds of the users of this site, and I'm sure they'll be able to assist with your query.

Do you know about cycling your tank? There is an initial run-in period before you can stock it with fish etc, if you havent heard about it do some googling and research ;-)

4. mrtickle75

mrtickle75 Thread Starter

what is a skimmer and where will i find it . can anyone tell me the correct water level for my tank thanks

Last edited: 4 Jul 2010
  5. Dane

Dane

A protein skimmer basically creates small bubbles which lift dissolved organics compounds out of your tank into the cup (a process known as foam fractionation). Its an excellent way to pull excess nutrients and waste out of your tank.

You can buy them from most fish stores, or you can build your own one with a bit of effort. There are plans and details on this site and multitude if you google it.

There is no "correct" water level. High enough that it doesnt overflow when you put your arm in the tank is a good place to start. But basically enough that it satisfies any overflows you might have in your system.

You didnt answer re: cycling your tank. There are a few absolutely crucial things you need to do when you're starting a marine system. If you don't you'll probably lose livestock and money - not to mention subject your fish to a painful, cruel death.

Perhaps you could provide some more details as to your system, plans, schedule etc?

Pictures also help a great deal with us helping you :)

6. mrtickle75

thanks i brought the tank from a pet shop who advised me it was ready for fish. ihave no fish yet only live rocks which have not grown yet. i have no instructions and i dont understand what the black bar is in the top left side of the tank it sticks out about 6inches. i also have on the right side of the tank a row of grills which the filter sits behind do i have to have these open or closed at the top or bottom or does it not matter. i also have a maxijet power head where is the best place to put this, sorry i cant send any pictures yet thanks for your help

7. Dane

Dane

Cool, now we know where you're at! :)

Glad to hear you havent put any livestock in yet. Trust me, your tank is NOT ready for fish yet!!! Basically you need to let the tank cycle, for bacteria populations to grow and for the ecology of the tank to get started - after all you are building a mini-ecosystem in that tank. And if its not stable then your fish will suffer and possibly die. A cycle can take up to a month, often less, but its absolutely imperative that you don't add any fish until its complete. You can kick start the cycle by adding a small piece of frozen prawn or fish to the tank - this will decay and provide food for the bacteria to grow. These bacteria will convert the waste from your fish once your tank reaches that stage. The live rock will have some bacteria and other life and also reduce the time it takes to cycle.

Do not trust you local pet store. They often don't really know what they're talking about and are often only out to make money off you. This is not a universal rule but a general one, we are lucky to have a few fish stores around here where the owners really care about their clients and provide a wealth of good info, but these guys are the exception. Its really up to you to read up general reef keeping articles to learn the right way to do things.

Unfortunately I can't provide much help with regards to your Boyu setup, i'm not familiar with them. BUt its 1am in the morning here, so if you wait till tomorrow you should get some responses from other guys on the forum that can better help, there are a few guys on here with the same tank as you.

Otherwise in the meantime maybe google about the TL550, might find some info to help you. A quick search provided me with these links....

I think this one is exactly what you're looking for...
    Fishkeeping - Nano Setup Part 1 - Setting up the Orca TL-550 - Marine Articles - Articles

heres someones thread regarding the same tank as yours on this site: My Boyu TL-550 (With Mods) - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

A last word, if I can offer some advice from my experience - be patient, and do things right the first time. It really will save you massive headaches further down the line. Take it slow, and you will get so much joy from this hobby.
    Cheers and goodluck! :)

viper357 likes this.
  8. Dane

Dane

9. Dane

Dane

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to Masa, glad you joined. I agree, your tank is NOT ready for fish yet, you need to cycle the tsank first with the live rock for at least 4 weeks or so. Soon you'll see a lot of life in the tank like bristle worms, copepods, amphipods, etc ,etc.
    Have a read through the link in my signature for some great info on starting a marine tank.
    About the black bar, I think it is a spray bar where the water is returned from the pump in the back compartment.The grills needs to be open, this where the water is sucked in to go to the back compartment.
    Also go check out the nano forums for some tips ;)

11. mrtickle75

can you break live rock and will it make any difference to the rock

12. Dane

Dane

Yes you can break up the live rock if you want to rearrange the pieces differently. Obviously it will disturb and possibly damage the organisms that inhabit the rock but by and large I dont think this will be a problem.

13. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

14. mrtickle75

i have just found a dead black beetle type creature in my tank its about 0.75cm long does anyone know what it could be and if its bad for my tank

15. Dane

Dane

Now this one is def going to need a bit more info for us to help. Google images to and search for "Amphipods" and "Copepods". These are two very common and desirable classes of organisms that could be coming with the live rock. Although 75mm is quite big... If it really looks like a beetle then it was probably attracted to the light and drowned.

Amphipod:
    [​IMG]

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, MRTickle75! Great to have you on-board!

Recent Posts