Boyu TL550

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Aquagirl, 5 Dec 2009.

1. Aquagirl

Aquagirl

Ok, so I am a keen fish keeper, my tropical tank is my pride and joy, and I have always wanted a Marine tank.
    A friend of mine thinks I am crazy as he says its just too much work, but I have been doing quite a bit of research, and just wanted to check the following:
    The Boyu TL550 has a more than adequate filtration system (or are there modifications that need to be made??)
    How often does the water need to be tested (please specify individually, unless all tests need doing at the same time).
    Do you really have to do a water change every week??
    Other than the already built in filter, what do you need equipment wise, ie skimmer, wave makers ect....
    I really want to get all my facts before I go for it, and I am also wanting to start out prepared for a reef tank, so will take my time introducing live stock, but just want to be prepared, so I dont have to change equipment.
    Is the lighting on the Boyu 550 sufficient for a reef tank....

Sorry, so many questions, so will pace myself.
    But am looking forward to all the help I can get.

Aquagirl :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

tl550cool

many people have tl550 reeftanks. the lighting is a little weak for sps corals but cool for softies. your tank has a skimmer if it is a tl550. the bioballs and ceramic rings would come out of filtration and be replaced by liverock. the tests tell you what is going on and what you need to correct. water changes of ten percent weekly are good and neccessary. top ups on a daily basis for evapouration is done with reverse osmosis water from fruit and veg or your reef shop. read beginner discussions and nano section, it will be really interesting for you. ps your local reef shop will also do your water tests at a minimal charge

4. Aquagirl

Aquagirl Thread Starter

Thanks, good info, so the tl550 has a built in skimmer?? havent bought it yet, as wanted to find out if it was good enough before spending the money.
    As for the tests, I am quite used to testing my fresh water tank, but just wondered how often you should do your nitrite, nitrate, ammonia ect..
    So why no bioballs and ceramics??? what filtration do you have then other than the live rock?
    Carbon?? Floss??
    As for the lighting, can extra lighting be put in a TL550 if I wanted sps at a later stage??

5. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to masa. The biobals and ceramics are only there to trap detrius no other job that it suppose to do works. When detrius is trapped it turns into nitrates and phophates and all those stuff that you don't want. In the marine hobby the filtration is actually totally differant then a bathwater tank. In marine your main aim is to make sure that the water itself is pure and clean of polutants but in freshwater the main thing is to get the particals out of the water, thus for marine you don't want wool and biobals and floss and all those stuff. The protein skimmer takes out all the proteins in the water. Live rock help giving the water biological filtration, carbon is used to get rid of milky water and polutants, we also have macro algae like chaeto that thrive of phosphates and nitrates in the water. Now the water is clean but we remain with the particals. To get rid of that we use cleanup crews(shrimps,crabs,snails...) abd we syphon the tank.

6. Seabass

Seabass

I suggest having a look at the link below, if in Pretoria or Jhb speak Furbz, he has built a beut of a nano, so this could be a recommended alt to a boyu.
    Furbz
    Something i have been hiding!
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?p=301399#post301399

Also if you have a space in mind, go for a tank that will fit in, i.e. you have 2m space, then go for a 2m tank.

My 2 c

7. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

warm welcome to MASA! always nice to have some girly friends onboard.:)

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

A warm Welcome to MASA.......

i do not a high opinion of the Boyu tanks at all ..... they are well priced yes, but everyone who buys one ends up doing some mods and is frustrated with the tank!!

lighting inverible becomes an issue, and filtration is woefully old school and inadequate.... I am not an expert but here is my take...... fish produce ammonia which is deadly to them in higher concentrations ..... this was a massive problem in early marine tanks ..... people discovered that bio balls are a great medium which host bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrates ..... but is unable to host the bacteria to complete the nitrogen cycle..... SO what happens is that nitrates and nitrites build up to toxic levels (but slower than ammonia does) this means that early reefers could keep fish for longer before having to do a water change ..... the Boyu range still relies on this technology, but advances in the understanding of marine systems tell us that utilizing things like DSB's can complete the nitrogen cycle......

SO IMO a Boyu is OLD school, can be used yes, but not the best...... If you want something consider a custom built nano with a propper sump light flow and skimmer.

9. crispin

crispin

hello aquagirl, welcome to MASA its great to have you here before you ahve a tank as there is lots to think about before you lay out cash.

Im with neil on this one. The boyu are ok tanks but you can do better for the money in my opinion.

Why do you want to start with a nano, out of intrest? is it due to space constraints or due to finacial implications? Or is it simply the "plug and play"aspect of a premade tank that u like?

While freshwater tanks can be fun there seems to be a limit to the joy and eventually a marine tank is required. I promise you the joy and facination of marine tanks cannot be underestimated and bathwater always seems to take a back seat once you start off :)

you will hear alot from people that marines are hard, lots of work, complicated, expensive and actually impossible to do. I am glad to say its normally from people who dont have a marine tank, or else havent set theors up correctly, the knowledge and understanding of marine reef keeping has increased drastically in the past 5 years and continues to do so, which allows us the joy of succesfully keeping reef tanks. Stick with masa we will show you all you need to know:)

welcome and happy postings:)

10. Aquagirl

Aquagirl Thread Starter

Wow, so much to take on board... actually the reason for the Boyu is the look of the tank, I dont much like the old school rectangular shape tanks, I agree that they arent made to sustain life like they are supposed to, I have a Boyu for my freshwater tank, and have had to make major adjustments, and dont use any of the original equipment.

I am not expecting a 'plug n play' by any means, so yes its mostly the size and the appearance that appeal to me, I dont want to go to big, as a flat is no place for 2 large fish tanks, and flat mates can get irritable ;-)

So what would you suggest then if not a Boyu???
    I am a Cape Town girl, so any connections would be great.

I am a planner, so when I decided last month, that I was gonna start preparing myself for a marine tank, I thought I would rather ask all the questions first, so I know what to buy, and what not to...

So expect loads more questions, long before you start to see in photos, or hear of any purchases (I have to start saving now anyway, perfect timing, over Christmas, I am mad).

Any way bring on any advice you can for a start up tank, obviously I will start with FO then progress to a Reef tank, but want to be prepared for a Reef tank in the begining.

So water change either 10% a week, or 20-30% every 2 weeks, and all tests done ever 2 weeks or so, what else...... I heard that you can join some section of the Two Oceans Aquarium here in Cape Town and become some member where you can help yourself to water for your marine tank, are there pro's or con's to this, and does anyone know if this is true???

Ok, will be sure to have more questions by tomorrow, but thanks for all the awesome advice.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and ask away, i see you are being taken care of nocley. my 2c is that a custom build (which believe me you will no doubt move to in the future) is going to be more finetuned for your needs but i do understand that this tank will help you establish your limits and see what you need to implement in fufture projects..

water changes (monthly at least)
    good skimming
    Liverock
    flow

are the basics i would say should be in place..

good luck and enjoy

12. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome to MASA

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, AquaGirl! Great to have you on-board!

Please note - a nano tank is awesome to have - and there have been some REALLY amazingly looking nano tanks that I have seen pictures of.

Just please note the following of nano tanks:
    (a nano tank is a tank smaller than 120 litres)
    - because the water volume is so small, there is absolutely no margin for error
    - when something does go wrong, it impacts the lifestock TERRIBLY - VERY QUICKLY
    - it requires a HUGE amount maintenance - you have to change at least 10 to 15% of water EVERY WEEK.....

Good luck with your decision! This is absolutely a really fantastic hobby to be in!

14. Cryp

Cryp

Hey there Aquagirl

Welcome to MASA, great to have you on board

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA....

16. mnd123

mnd123

Hey aquagirl, welcome - have you had a look at the Nanos that Adriaan and crew at Idol Marine build? Check Bob the reefbuilders thread on their nano - if you want to go rteef in the end, plan ahead.

Recent Posts