Boyu TL550 with sump

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Kevin, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Kevin

Kevin

After a year or so, I have finally installed a sump for my TL 550.

I will post pics of the modification soon.

I have drilled a 32mm hole into the back of the tank for the overflow and a 20mm hole for the return. The back of the TL 550 is glass not acrylic so I had to source the drill bits. Builder warehouse have got in diamond drill bits from Torkcraft. I paid R129 for the 20mm bit and R169 for the 32mm bit.

Drilling was a breeze, but I did quite a bit of practise before hand on old glass.

The overflow, will start to operate from tonight. I have split the overflow into the sump into two lines. One line will run over an ATS and the other will flow directly into the chamber of the return pump.

I have set up a DSB underneath the ATS in the main chamber. The sand is playsand at a depth of appox 12cm. On top of this I want to put in Chaeto and some other macro algae.

The return pump is 2000L/hr, I dont know if this is too much for the tank. Advise will be appreciated.

I still need to install some lights in the sump for the ATS and for the algae growth.

Space is limited so I am going to put 2x50w downlights for the sump and try and squeeze in a 23W CFL floodlight for the ATS. I hope this is suffiicent or is it overkill?

After all of this, if I still have space, I want to chuck the Boyu skimmer as far as I can throw it and put in a lekker skimmer in the sump. Any advise here would also be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the sump. It is approximately 60L.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nickv1

nickv1

I have the same system. Added a BH1000 ReefOctopus skimmer onto it this week.

Your sump idea is appealing as well.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

:)

4. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

How is the BH1000 performing? I am sure it can only be better than the standard Boyu skimmer :)

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Kevin - the ReefOctopus BH-1000 skimmer outperforms the "standard" Boyu skimmer by about 1000 times!

6. nickv1

nickv1

Kevin

Skimmer only in for a few days but thus far huge difference in water clarity. Glad I made the change.

7. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

I looked them up and they seem to clip on the outside. I think I will be able to modify the back of my stand so I can clip it on the sump.

How much do these skimmers go for? I already had to explain to my wife, why I spent so much on diamonds (drill bits) and they are for the fish :p

8. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

sounds pretty cool, wanna see pics if you are done ! please share !

9. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

OK, I started the pumps and overflow last night. All seems to be running well, except the ATS is splashing water everywhere. I will have to do some mods this weekend.

Here is a pic of the plumbing at the back of the tank.

[​IMG]

Here is the overflow. It is a simple elbow joint which I can turn to adjust the height of the water in the DT.

[​IMG]

This is the return line from the sump

[​IMG]

This is the ATS, used a normal white cutting board. Will experiment with different things to get best results. Currently it is splashing water all over.

[​IMG]

A pic of the sump minus ATS

[​IMG]

Any advise would be welcome.

I will install the light this weekend. I think I am only going to go with the 23W CFL flood light as there is not enough space.

10. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

Big problem. I was installing a saddle to hold the overflow pipe in place and when I moved the pipes to get it into the saddle, I heard a crack. :(

The back of the tank cracked were the overflow comes out of the tank. I have managed to repair the outside with Pratelys putty, but the is still a very small leak. Fortunately the glass cracked right at the top so there is not much water pressure but the tank has been weakened.

I am going to try and fix the inside this weekend with glass weld (an epoxy putty) and see if it holds. If not I will have no option other than to drain the entire tank and replace the back glass which will be a real mission because the fram of the nano is glued on with silicon.

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Maybe drill a small hole in front of the crack so that does not run and then place another piece of glass over the crack and slicone it to the back panel.

12. xtreme

xtreme

It's a small tank, drill a 10mm glass and stick it with silicone to the back side and clamp it, happened to me with bottom plate and tank is still running!!!!

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Nice mods, sorry about the crack. Next time rather build a small external overflow box, so if the glass crack it is easy and cheap to fix ;)

14. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

I will try to cut some glass and stick it on the back. Good Idea's. I managed to glue the inside with epoxy putty and the leak stopped, but with glass anything is possible, especially if there is vibration. I think sticking glass to the outside is the best option as it will add structural strength.

This weekend, I finished off most of the sump. All I have to do is mount a door to the cabinet and it is finished. The wood I bought for the door was slightly warped so it does not close tightly. I am busy making it straight, so it will take a few days.

I installed the rest of the overflow into the sump to reduce splashing and noise and added a plastic mesh over the cutting board to reduce noise and splashing.

I also added a 46W CFL flood light inside the sump facing the ATS.

Now it is a question of hurry up and wait to see if algae forms on the ATS and to see what the nitrates do.

I am still running the pathetic Boyu skimmer until I can afford another one.

Now all I need to get is some Chaeto and some sand to seed the DSB.

15. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

Last night the first signs on brown algae appeared on the plastic mesh on the ATS.

I am keen to see what the nitrates will do. Currently they are still sitting on 15.

16. Boegie

Boegie

Great illustration pics.

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Looking good Kevin! You will be very happy in a while......

18. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

The ATS has got good algae growth within a week. My tanks water has never looked so clean.

I will post pics over the weekend.

I used to struggle to keep the water temp below 27 and now it is sitting at 25.5 without moving much.

I will do a nitrate test tomorrow to see if there has been any improvement.

19. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

I cleaned off the first algae from the ATS on Saturday, a week after initial setup. There was a lot of brown slime algae which I wiped off the plastic board. The smell of this stuff was similar to that of what comes out of the skimmer cup.

I tested my nitrates and for the first time in a very long time they are sitting at 5. Before I installed the sump the reading was between 15 and 30. This may also be due to the amount of new salt water I had to add to fill up the sump. Time will tell.

Also I have absolutely no green algae growth on the sides of my tank. There is still some one the back wall but it seems to be diminishing.

Below is a FTS. The water clarity is the best it has ever been. Now time to stock with plenty corals.

[​IMG]

The flood light and ATS before cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts