Boyu TL550 Setup and advice

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by SteveF, 29 Aug 2016.

1. SteveF

SteveF

Hi everyone being reading this forum for the last few weeks and since I recently picked up a 2nd hand one I thought I would join up and get some advice from everyone. This is my first attempt at a saltwater tank so I have no real expectations but to learn and have fun as I move forward.

So basically its the TL550 with the LED hood. I got it pretty dirty and messed up so have tried to clean it up as best as possible.

This is a pic of the hood which I took apart and cleaned up recently.

[​IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

I have also recently cleaned up the tank as best as possible which is sitting in its position ready for its substrate. Which leads my to my first question as to what substrate people would recommend. I am not really a fan of fine sand as most aquariums I have seen with fine sand seems to have a lot of it floating in the water. I was thinking of a maybe a slightly larger grain of aragonite type living sand? I have been warned to stay away from crushed coral if possible.

[​IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

This is the backboard of the tank with some white shell like substance which I'm struggling to remove so I will probably just leave it as it is.

[​IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

There are 4 chambers in the back of the Boyu the first one is empty the second one has what I assume to be the skimmer the third one is empty and the fourth has the pump.

[​IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

I did get these with the tank I'm assuming the filter sponge should go into chamber one and the ceramic rings and what I'm assuming to be aragonite into chamber three which will be joined with live rock and possibly the heater as well. I have read on a previous thread that it is not advised to keep the heater in chamber four but rather three for more consistent temperature

[​IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

I think that's probably enough questions for today so please feel free to comment

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Aug 2016
    Guardian likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA.

Yeah, a slightly larger grain aragonite is great. Live aragonite or dry aragonite doesn't really make much of a difference.

I can only see your last pic, not the first few. So not sure what went wrong there. Maybe a mod can fix it.

If you can, use Seachem Matrix instead of aragonite and ceramic rings. You just get a lot more surface area which is important in such a snall space. You'll still need to rinse it regularly though to prevent detritus building up.

4. SteveF

SteveF Thread Starter

Hi there I have fixed the picture things so hopefully you can see what I'm talking about :)

5. SteveF

SteveF Thread Starter

Ok so the tank has been cycling for a few weeks and yesterday I picked some live rock up and put in around 4kg of Fiji rock and about 5kgs of base rock. Unfortunately my newbness has possibly created an issue as I see the rock is covered with green hair algae. It is unfortunately already in the tank. Should I take the rock out and clean it or get rid of it or do the whole clean up crew and lower phosphates thing? I read that perhaps I should cover the tank in darkness for a week to kill off the algae??? any suggestions appreciated I will try post some pics tonight. PS there might also be red slime algae starting to form :(

6. Fanie

Fanie

I see the last post was quite a while ago. Do you have any updates?

I would remove as much algae as possible and then turn off the lights and run some sort of phosphate remover for a while. I would also remove those ceramic rings. I did not replace mine with anything, just ensure you have enough liverock. People also advise to remove the sponge from the first chamber and then run some filter floss(I have not done this, but it is good advice as the sponge is terrible to clean).
    I also had red slime algae (cyanobacteria) when my tank started out. After the cycle it cleared up.

Recent Posts