Boyu TL550 LED not so nice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reaper, 16 Nov 2014.

1. Reaper

Reaper

Hey all, I need some advice.

I have the TL550 with LED in the hood. Now, the light is sufficient for lps and sps, and I can already see some growth in my staghorn frag I added earlier this week. Here's the thing though.

As some of you know, there's 17 white (more yellowish) LED's and only 3 blue ones in the canopy, which gives me a relatively yellow light in the tank. I'm not satisfied with this colour of light. Is there some way I can mod the lights, or maybe ad a strip of blue LED's and some pink ones so to simulate the pink T5's and get a more crisp light in the tank? Also, does it need to be proper LED's or would the local hardware ones be cool, seeing as I already have enough light for the corals.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CameL

CameL

Im not sure on the spec of those led's, but maybe with some reading you can find out the specs such as forward current and forward voltage, wattage and get yourself some led's that match those specs, from there it would be to open the hood and remove the led's and add your led's in, a little bit of diy.
    Alternatively, you could take a look at Charl_stanhope's thread, IIRC he diy'ed a led light fixture for the boyu and that would greatly assists you. The DIY route is easy though if you have some basic soldering skills and a bit of logic.

4. Brendan6

Brendan6

I have the same hood. The 17 whites are 1w LEDS and the 3 blues are 3w. I found the white to be a tad to bright, the rocks almost seemed to glow. Not enough blue, but I never noticed a "yellow" tinge at all

5. red deacon

red deacon

+1

nothing yellow about my lighting if anything its too bright

6. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

OK, it's not so yellow as I might have said, but the clarity isn't crisp enough for my liking. I spoke to lfs owner, he's gonna see a supplier tomorrow to get a quote for a 20cm strip of 20,000k blue LED's with transformer, then I will probably just add it into the existing light unit.

7. Jason

Jason

I totally forgot to tell you @Reaper that the first gen Boyu led units was total watt of 65 all 20 leds combined = 3watt each but the new units is 35watt in total...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Brendan6

Brendan6

Good luck with adding some blue strips, I think that would be the way to go. I must just say (for the people looking into the LED hood) that the LED's are sufficient for pretty much anything. Its a good option for the boyu but it does lack a bit of blue. With my new tank, I am going to use the boyu's LED setup for my frag tank.

9. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Yes, these LED's are awesome for growing frags. I have a staghorn that I added earlier this week and it's already showing growth tips

Recent Posts