BOYU TL450..Temp problem

Discussion in 'New Members' started by belindamotion, 26 Jan 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

We just bought a BOYU TL450 Nano Tank...I joined Marine Aquariums of South Africa and started reading and trying to gain knowledge as I go along...I've noticed just about everyone has a Temp problem...Hubby bought the Tank about 2 days ago...we did the salt and got some Live Rock today..The Hydrometer was spot on...our Temp is at 27 degrees and had the lights on today for the first time and Temp went to 28 degrees...heater unplugged...can't get it to 25 degrees with the current fan, even during the night...is there a stronger fan I can replace it with...? Obviously same size...I really don't want a wall mounted fan or normal home fans all over the place and I can't find any Water Chillers for such a small little Tank...Don't think there is for this small size...it says 58L, but with my "sand" and live rock, it's actually 42L of actual water in the Tank...

I'll be the first to admitt that anything Electrical or Mechanical is way above my Head so I could be so far out that I'm asking if a BMW wheel will fit on a Mini Cooper, but I saw this Fan and it looked like the "replacement parts picture" on the Boyu Site...

120mm Ball Bearing Computer Case Cooling Fan - ultra high flow

I'm from South Africa so hopefully they are local, if correct..or is that what I have already...as I think all the Nanos have the same Fan...

Sorry if this is asked already, I'm still feeling my way around the Site, but I'm hopeing that I'll get replies or thread links to the answers as I've got this Tank three days and from the word go I can't get the temp down to 25 degrees...

My second problem, or maybe just lack of knowledge...I have two switches...one for the "blue light" and the other one for the "white light"...I was told in the store that both should be on together...my problem is that my Fan only works if the "light" is on....I wanted to have the white light on for +-6-7h..(I was told not more than 8) and then turn off and switch on the blue light for the remainder of the time so that the Fan will work as I mentioned that I get 26 degrees at night with no lights and roughly 27 degrees during the day with no lights...No lights purely because I'm setting up my Tank...I also want to mention that no sunlight near my Tank...

Third and last question...now that I've put in Live Rock...do I switch the lights on...I did yesterday when we bought Live Rock as I figured "live" and probably needs photosinthesis...(sorry for the spelling)...

Thanks guys...will appreciate some help...xoxoxo

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. I don't have experience with these nanos, but I'm sure one of the other members will pitch in soon as some guys made a lot of modifications on their nanos.
    Seeing that you're new to the hobby, what I can offer you is to read the link below on starting a marine tank - you will need the info and it will answer all your questions regarding the cycle of a tank ;)

Where are you from?

Last edited: 26 Jan 2011
  4. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

From Pinetown KwaZulu Natal...I notice you'r from Witbank...lived there for a few years....thanks for the Links...I've actually read them already before I joined...very informative...Thanks

5. stevengrant

stevengrant

Connecting a small 12 volt computer fan in the front with the front little hatch lifted up or removed. The fan blows onto the water and will increase evapouration a bit so you will need to add a bit more RO water.

6. Dane

Dane

Hey belinda,

There's no need to purchase an original boyu fan. Any 12v computer fan will do and you get a range of sizes as well.

Unfortunately, unless you get a chiller, a little DIY will be needed to get your tank to manageable temperatures. I am not immediately familiar with that tank. But I have a similar all in one which I had to cut vent covers out of to assist with passive cooling.

About the switches... I would just leave the blue LEDs on all the time. Its the same with my unit. I actually was able to disconnect the fan from the lights as I could stand the noise! , and still keep temps ok. But that was in winter... :p

*also, just read that one can use an old cellphone charger to power PC fans and superbright LEDs etc, as they usually have a 12v output (check this). Just chop off the end with the adapter and splice to the PC fans wires...

Last edited: 26 Jan 2011
  7. Apollo

Apollo

Hi Belinda ,

Welcome to MASA.

The TL450's can sometimes be a little tricky insofar temperature regulation are concerned. You will find that in most cases the heater will hardly come on , except when the ambient is really low.

The vent slots on the Boyu hood are not very well designed IMO, since you need to get more airflow and movement over the surface of the water . One way to do this is to keep the flap in front open as already mentioned.
    While this will increase the evaporation slightly , it may not be enough so you may need to look at some DIY options as already mentioned.

Before I did a mod to the hood I used to keep the front flap on the hood open almost permanently. I have a ceiling mounted fan close to the tank , so this aided the evaporation and hence cooling. My tank was normally running at approx 28-29 degreed before I did the mods.

Just watch your evaporation and remember to top up with RO .

You can have a look at my thread below for some ideas on different mods that I've done on my Nano.

Hope this helps :)

Apollo's Nano chronicles - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

simple solution is to turn the rain bar unit so that the jetspoint horizontally across the surface and this will keep surface movement up and temp down put a small powerhead in tank to increase circulation

9. chas84

chas84

I also had a temp issue on my Bouyo (have the TL550), there is a brand called "Dymax" that makes neat little fans that you simply clip ont the tank (the little flap will stay open though), and plug in. No DIY really needed if you don't mind keeping the flap open.

Recent Posts