Boyu TL-550 Skimmer Advice

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Potions, 12 Jul 2011.

1. Potions

Potions

Hey guys

I'm getting the system from my friend in the next few days, been doing lots of research. I'm pretty keen to get a new skimmer quite soon (Boyu one doesn't seem to be too efficient), like within a month or so of having the tank. So far I was looking at these two: South Africa's largest online marine aquarium pet shop

South Africa's largest online marine aquarium pet shop

I just wanted to find out with the first one linked, do you HAVE to have a sump, I thought I could just put it next to the tank and let it run like that? With the second one, the hang on back one, how would I go about getting it to hang on the back of a Boyu TL-550 - is this possible to do quite easily?

Thanks so much, also any other advice in regards to skimmers is most welcome :biggrin:

Daniel

michelle34 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Yes you will have to have a sump, lots have tried to make the Ts skimmers into external but most have failed. It's very good to have a sump as this give more water volume and it give you space to grow macros and other filtration methods. If you add a sump to the Boyu you can remove the filtration unit and get more space in the tank.

It wouldn't be to hard to get the skimmer to hang on back. Little cuts here and add this and that there... Problems you do get with the hang-on skimmers on the display tank is that micro bubbles tend to get released causing your tank to be filled with these small bubbles, it's not very appealing to the eye and it sticks to everything.

I would say invest in a sump , you don't have to drill the Boyu as a DIY overflow works just as great. Search the DIY forum lots of stuff to help you there.

4. 2balive

2balive

5. FrancoisJou

FrancoisJou

I've had a try, and my Boyu TL 550 stock skimmer is working quite well, just had to tweak it a bit.

6. 2balive

2balive

No luck on my side with it, get foam/bubbles in the neck, but it only pushes (dirty) water into the cup or nothing.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  7. boetie

boetie

8. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Have you taken a look at the Hydor Slim skimmer? That should work in the boyu. Problem with HOBs is 2 things. You will more than likely need to lose your lid somewhere along the line and the boyu's sump runs opposite to the more popular JBJ nanos which most of these skimmers (Red Sea Prizm, BH100) are designed for. You will be lucky if you can even find the boyu's available for the American market (I think they are sold as orca's in the states)

So what the need to look at is a tall skinny skimmer (Hydor, Tunze or Dymax LS range). I opted for the Dymax merely because that's all there was on the market at the time. If I had to do it again I would get the Hydor.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  9. michelle34

michelle34

Have got your system as yhet Boyo TL 550 if pm I got some good idea s for it as well

10. jsoli4

jsoli4

Tunze 9004 works like a bomb on my tank,skims excellent

11. JS

JS

Stock skimmer once setup works like a bomb...my tl550 ran for 2 years with it no problem....and new owner still runs with it...2 years later...

12. michelle34

michelle34

I have boyo and made it great by add sump on the bottom and drill the tank it drill so easy but I run reef tec 1 on it and bio reactor it works great sorry I had a new stand made out of steel I run test for leaks all in order

13. Filthy Mcnasty

Filthy Mcnasty

apologies for the old quote.

can you tell me how you "tweaked" it?

14. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

using this on mine as well and its an excellent Skimmer!

15. Domzy

Domzy

I am starting to dislike Boyu products:( have a boyu dg-2516 hang on Skimmer for my nano.

Recent Posts