Boyu TL-450

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Supergertjie, 1 Dec 2008.

1. Supergertjie

Supergertjie

Hi! My name is Gertjie

I would like some advise from all you guys on a Boyu TL-450 58L tank. A friend of mine wants to sell it and I am interested. It has its original light, pump, sponges and heater. Its skimmer is missing and dont know if UV is included. Would it be a bad choice for a first marine tank(had freshwater aquarium for 10 years)? I read some modifications made by you guys and sounds great.

I was looking to purchase a 600mm(L)x450mm(H)x320mm(W) tank and start a Nano tank but this Boyu caught my eye.

Would you buy a new tank or is the boyu(with some extra accesories added) fine for a beginner?

Thank you in advance!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. The advantage of a second hand small tank is you get away with starting up a lot cheaper. The disadvantage of a small system is stability. If something should go wrong it has quite a huge affect on the tank inmates, like salinity or temp changes.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

5. Apollo

Apollo

Welcome to the forum !

Tobes has already eluded to the disadvantages of going with a smaller system.
    Smaller tanks are a lot less forgiving than their larger counterparts in terms of stability.

However, I have also just started up my Boyu TL450 and I'm looking forward to growing a successful reef and learning a lot in the process. I believe that discipline, patience and diligence is the key to successful smaller reef keeping.

Lastly, you may want to consider what you are paying for a second hand Boyu.
    Remember that you will need to purchase a skimmer . For a Boyu tank this will set you back approx R 400 (Boyu WG skimmer) , so you need to add this to the amount you are paying for the Boyu.

The Boyu TL450's retail anywhere from R 1700 upwards, depending on where you buy.
    For this money you are getting a brand new system.

Might be worthwhile considering new rather than second hand .
    Just my 50c worth.

viper357 likes this.
  6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

7. Supergertjie

Supergertjie Thread Starter

Thank you for all the welcomes and advice so far. Will then take the advice, and make a final decision.

Thank you to everybody that makes this site so informative and fun to read!!!

8. X Faktor

X Faktor

I started with a boyu and enjoyd every moment of it!!! Sponges at the back? You should take them out dude...

Recent Posts