Boyu TL-450 UV Sterilizer Ballast

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by jaywagenaar, 16 Nov 2008.

1. jaywagenaar

jaywagenaar

Hi,

I purchased my Boyu TL-450 about two months ago.

I am really struggling with algae in my tank.
    In my discussion I am referring to the below as a ballast - because that is what I think this is.
    [​IMG]
    The instruction manual makes absolutely no mention of it.

Basically, after I connected up the tank I noticed that the LED does not come on. I then took it back to my LFS and they tested another one which also did not light up the LED when plugged in. The guy at the LFS then told me that he thinks it is only to come on when there is a problem.

I really dont believe him. I am also not 100% sure how to check if the UV Sterilizer is working.

Can anybody else with a TL-450 please let me know if their ballast LED lights up when the power is on.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i have a meeting with the Cape Town agents at 9.... will ask and report back

4. jaywagenaar

jaywagenaar Thread Starter

Thanks so much HenkHugo!
    :thumbup:

I wonder if the UV Sterilizer can be purchased separately and what it costs to replace.

5. lIghty

lIghty

I believe they are having problem with the ballasts and have little or not parts backup, Henk can you confirm this? as was thinking of possible purchasing one at a later stage.

6. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Hi,
    I have the same tank. The light is on when plugged in. I thus assume it is working.
    I will probably lean towards your tank being only 2 months old. Probably just finished cycling, but not sure.

Please post water param. How did you cycle your tank? How much live rock? Bio load (fish, CUC and corrals)? Feeding schedule? All will have an influence on nitrate which feeds algae.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2008
  7. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

hey guys,

we never got around to talking about the TL450/550 :( sorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy :(

8. jaywagenaar

jaywagenaar Thread Starter

Hi Mad Max,

*BLUSH*
    I don't have any water parameters to give you.
    When I wanted to buy test kits, the guy at my LFS said that it was a waste of money and that if I really felt I need to test my water I should just take a sample to them and they can check it for me. I have been avoiding the store as I am annoyed about the ballast.

I will have to take some water in this weekend to get it checked and let you know.

When I bought the tank from my LFS it was already running in the store for about a month. They just packed it for me, I took it home and then put everything back in the tank as it was in the store.

I cannot give you exact weights of my live rock but I estimate about 4kg live rock.

I am not 100% sure what CUC is but I have:
    2 clarke anenome fish,
    1 scooter blenny,
    1 pyjama wrasse (six-line),
    1 cleaner shrimp (the 2nd one just disappeared)
    1 Leather Coral
    2 Turbo Snails

I had a sea hare (Jerry), but he sadly passed on on Saturday evening. Man did he smell when I took him out of the tank.:(

I feed the fish once a day in the morning - about 45 minutes after I have turned on the lights.

I have done 3 X 10L water changes over the last three weeks - bar this past weekend.
    After reading the forums last night I have removed the filter sponges in chamber 1 and opened all of the inlets of the chamber. I also rinsed the bio balls and ceramic noodles.

About 3 weeks ago when the algae was really bad I bought a powerhead that I have placed in the 4th chamber to increase the water flow.

The tank is looking a lot 'cleaner' today but there is still ugly algae in the tank. My main concern is the algae on the back of the tank that is accumulating air bubbles.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the response thus far.
    Any idea where I can buy another ballast? Really just don't have the energy to fight for my current balast to be replaced.

9. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

I would suggest also get rid of the bio balls and ceramic noodles. It will have the same effect as the sponge "Nitrate Factory". High nitrates = Algae. The pic looks exactly the same as my tank while it was cycling (took 60 days). My nitrates were still high at that stage. Air bubbles are part of a cycle.

Regarding the UV Sterilizer. Are you a converted freshwater tank guy? I am. What I have found (read) is that this model's UV Sterilizer is not very good. A lot of guys remove the Sterilizer completely to help increase the flow in the chambers. Especially if you add an additional pump in the last chamber (1st one starting from your right). On this forum you will probably find that 90% (if not more) do not use UV Sterilizer. Reason being your live rock should do the trick.

Your bio load is going to be too high. This tank is too small. Most suggest max 3 fish, if they are small.

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Hi guys, my light also isnt working, how can i test if the UV light is actually working or not ? :(

Recent Posts