boyu nitrates

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Penny, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Penny

Penny

I'm wondering if anybody can help me! I bought my Boyu Tank in March and i have had many many difficulties with the nitrates. the tank is second hand and has had high nitrate levels since we got it. we started off with 50% water changes every week. eventually we did a 100% water change and still the nitrates were very high. we then did special blend for 6 weeks and continued with water changes every week. our test strip told us that there were no nitrates and so we added some fish but today however we tested the water with a different tester and it shows high nitrates again!

what else could we possibly do to get rid of the nitrates??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Do you have some pics? It will help us to assist you a little better? How much flow and live rock do you have in your tank?}what do you have in the back compartments? What livestock do you currently have in the tank?

4. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Bioballs and ceramic noodles in back chambers?

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

You using RO water? Mixing the saltwater yourself or did you buy from a petstore?

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Oh, & welcome to MASA!!! Hope you enjoy it here!!!

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@Penny when you say high no3, do you have a reading. Also what test kits are you using and how old are they?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. the fish

the fish

hi and welcome to MASA. unfortunately the problem with small systems is that they do tend to have a problem with nitrates. also had the boyu. check back compartments and see if there is bio balls or ceramic tubes in the back. if there is get rid of them first as they trap nitrates. also those strips that are used isnt very accurate in my opinion. rather get a proper test kit from your LFS. like the others also said try mix your own saltwater, as there is some LFS' that sells dirty water, not all but there are a few.

9. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Welcome to MASA.My first tank was also a Boyu.It's a nice and neat little tank.The first thing I did was rip out that UV light in the filter.It kills all bad stuff but also kills your good bacteria and pods....The second thing I did was rip out all filter media except the sponge.I filled up the filter at the back with small pieces of live rock.Thats my filter system now up and running.

You are going to battle with nitrate spikes and temp up and downs.Due to the small amount of water capacity.

I always explain it like this take one cup of water add it to your kettle and boil it.Now add 5 cups of water to a cold kettle,boil it you will see it takes longer.

Thats why the more water volume you have the more stable,the less water the more it's unstable.

It's manageable.I ran my Boyu for 2 years did regular water change and kept a beautiful tank.Remember softies need some nitrates and phosphates.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  10. Mc

Mc

Sorry don't know where you got this idea but its nonsense.
    Not that that UV does much anyway, its pretty useless.

I had the same problem with my boyu TL550 at a stage my nitrate were up to 60ppm.
    I have to agree about removing all the filter media like bio balls and ceramic rings except for the sponge. You also need to rinse that sponge in the water you take out when you do a water change or it can also be the cause of nitrates.(I am assuming the boyu is a tl550 or 450)
    You have to make sure the you keep it relatively clean in the back a well.

Also make sure the test kit you are using is accurate, when you say test strip that makes me worried because the tests that come in the strips are normally the most in accurate.
    Test the water before you add it and see if the nitrates are high.
    If you are doing all the above there are some other ways to keep them under controll, but its best to try get to the root of the problem.

11. ccwilke

@Mc what is nonsense??

12. Mc

Mc

The UV killing good bacteria and pods.

13. ccwilke

14. Mc

Mc

Where does that article come from?

I agree with some parts of this article, but the thing is the bacteria doesn't live in the water it lives on any surface it can attach too like filter media, sponge and live rock, and the bacteria that take care of nitrates definately doesn't live in the water as it is anerobic meaning it can't survive in areas where there is oxgen. The bit of bacteria that is in the water and may be killed by the UV is so minimal. Trust me I have done a lot of research on this.
    The pods also don't live in the water although one or two of them may come through the UV occassionally the uv in these tanks is so pathetic I don't think it could kill them.

Sorry if I offended it wasn't my intention at all.

15. ccwilke

@Mc

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370422250.268517.jpg

Now this topic goes both ways....
    I will start a new threat on this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370422250.268517.jpg

16. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

Fill one of the compartments with orca bio cubes and a airstone and bobs your uncle it will drop to zero in 3 weeks (or should lol)

17. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I see that you have had a nice response @Penny. I think the best will be to send us some pictures of your setup and maybe we cna pick up something that might cause high NO3. But there are a lot of good questions on this thread already. If you can answer all of them , we will almost certainly all be able to put our heads together and find a solution. There are many products out there that will take your nutrients away but you want to get to the root of your problem. not just cover up the nutrient problems. thats the easy fix. As I said, a pictures will enable us to do so. Welcome to MASA by the Way. You will get some awesome advice here.:thumbup:

18. Antionette

Antionette

Hi Penny
    I have been running my Boyu 550 for 3 years now. I do weekly water changes, about 25ltr.
    Check your stocking levels. You should not have more than 5-6 small fish. Do you clean your sandbed and live rock too when you change you water.
    Are you still cycling your tank. This will also influance your readings:)

19. Penny

Penny Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.

it is a boyu TL550.
    standard sponge, bio balls and ceramic rings in the back. UV light is disconnected.
    also activated charcoal in the back.

live stock:
    2 clown fish
    1 cardinal
    1 dwarf angel
    1 goby
    2 shrimp
    1 starfish
    3 snails

we have a bubble coral (which seems to be unhappy in the past few days) and goniopora

nitrates are sitting at 50ppm. we are now using an NO3 kit (before we used tetra test strips.)

we buy RO water and saltwater purchased from our LFS. and we do a 10% water change every week.

Thanks again for everything

tank.jpg

20. the fish

the fish

this could be the problem. some LFS' water is really bad, not all but some, best to invest in your own RO unit and a bucket of salt. the problem with the water from an LFS is some will use really cheap salt to mix with or in the case of the RO water the TDS readings are off the charts. please ask the to test the water they sell to you infront of you before buying it to be safe too.

21. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Do you have any flow pumps in your display tank? I'll remove a third of the bio balls per week untI'll they gone. Replace that with chemical filtration.i swear by purignen and phosguard . Do you rinse the black sponge? How often do you replace the carbon.

Recent Posts