Boyu Nitrate Processor Info

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Neville, 22 Mar 2012.

1. Neville

Neville

Hi, I am running a HS 60 tank and have a XQ-500 Nitrate Processor which I was given second hand without and setup or operating instructions. Can anyone help me with any info on the unit. Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks, Neville

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

It is similar to most nitrate filters. Use the principles from the links in this link except the sulphur ones as that is a completely different principle.

NFP509 Nitrate Filter | The Aquarium Solution

If you have any further questions i will try and assist.

4. 2balive

2balive

I have me of those, got it with my tank. Don't bother getting the instructions, except If you can read Mandrin, the English version is not going to help.

From what I can figure out is the you start it up with the black balls inside and whala, no nitrates (hihi).

Don't really think it will work with the balls, but would be a nice setup to run something like deNitrate in.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Len i have to disagree. It will work fine with the bio balls. One just needs to understand how nitrate filters work and set them up correctly. We have many tanks that run on nitrate filters of different makes. Deltec, aqua medic, reef Octopus, even normal canister filters.

The good thing about nitrate filters is that you can measure the nitrate level coming out of the filter. So you know if it is working or not. This also allows one to be able to set the nitrate level one desires to run his tank at. Something you cannot do with most other means of nitrate reduction.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. 2balive

2balive

I assume the/my Buoy Nitrate Processor works on a low oxygen principle?

With the flow rate and a single pass design, I have my doubts if one will get this specific one to work.

Agree that Nitrate filters in general work, just have by doubts about this one. If someone gets the Buoy one working, pls let me know.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Post a few PICs and lets if i can give some help in getting it to work.

8. Neville

Neville Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, made interesting reading.

Len, on the top of the unit, there is a small bleed-off "tap" - how should that be set?

9. 2balive

2balive

MIne came without that part, but saw it on the drawing.

I suspect that is how you control the flow trough the unit. Would start it somewhere in the middel and then adjust it in very small incements to get the nitrate reading of the water coming out, up or down. E.g. if you want less nitrate concentration than what is coming out, you have to close the tap a bit.

10. Mewik

Mewik

I just chopped the top off of my boyu one and shoved seagel in it and some sponge to hold it in. Worked pretty well, its still laying around somewhere, been thinking of putting it back to use. I'm sure it has some benefits using it with the balls, just not sure what as my nitrates and nitrites always sat on 0 without it anyway.

11. Neville

Neville Thread Starter

That is what I find quite confusing, if yours does not have the bleed-off on the top, how does the water cycle through the unit? The specs on the unit says it has a 120l/h pump!! I have stripped it and cant make sense of it - hence me looking for a manual/write up on it.

Regards
    Neville

12. Mewik

Mewik

The middle tube is pretty much sealed onto the top, when the valve is fully open the water will come straight up the middle and out the top, missing all the balls, if u close it slightly it will force the water through the little opening at the bottom of the pipe and through the balls up to the top. Without the valve I don't think it will do anything other than pump water straight through. It needs to be closed a bit to force the water through the balls. That's the conclusion I came to, didn't seem to make sense at first.

13. Neville

Neville Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes sense - I just could not see any outlet other than the one on the top

14. 2balive

2balive

Think mine just lost that part, never tried to set it up. Used the space for a flow rack with chemical filtration.

The badly written instructions had a lot of warnings signs, so I decided to rather not try it.

Reading @Mewik 's explanation, does it means the more open the valve, is the more nitrate filtration happens as less water/oxygen goes into the filter area (e.g. slower flow trough the de-nitration filter)?

Will look (only in a week or two) to see if i still have the instructions.

15. 2balive

2balive

Yip, struggled with the same issue, can't figure out the flow trough the unit.

16. Mewik

Mewik

@Len it seems that the valve needs to be closed slightly.

The water enter via the bottom, then goes up the clear plastic pipe in the middle, not through the media, then it exits via the open valve on the top, as that's the easiest path. Inside the unit at the bottom there is 4 small holes, once the valve is closed a bit it will pressurise slightly and force more water out those small holes and up to the top through the media. I'm not sure where any oxygen comes into it so I'm clueless as to how one should set it etc. I rather just use media in a stocking and build a little media rack as len has done, you can combine carbon, phosgaurd, purigen and some kind of nitrate pellets all in one chamber then if need be.

17. 2balive

2balive

Did not see the four small holes, will look again.

The holes will explain how water gets into the area with the balls in, but I still don't understand how the water will get out of the area with the balls in?

18. Mewik

Mewik

That's where I'm a bit baffled as well haha. I assume that when the unit is complete the seal between the middle pipe and lid is not 100% perfect so it renenters the middle pipe through small opening at the top then exits? Some kind of Chinese witchcraft? I looked at mine now to make sure I hadn't lost the plot and there's def 4 small holes there haha.

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Guys please post some PIC's.

What does the bottom black bit consist of? Is it a pump/motor of some sort?

20. 2balive

2balive

Sorry, can only get to mine in about two weeks time.

The bottom/black bit is pump (some is the Boyu skimmers, just without the air intake), with a base plate.

Perhaps @Neville can post a pic?

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK here is my guess on how it works.

The motor draws in water into the chamber and then once full circulates the water within the filter. It does not draw water in and then expel it at 120 lph. It circulates the same water in the chamber causing it to become anaerobic. The little adjuster at the top, is the drip rate adjuster that drips the processed water back to the tank. As the water is dripped back into the tank, it should be dripped back in a high flow area, the pump sucks in a new drip to be processed.

To set it up you will have to open that little valve to let all the air out and let the water run through for a short while. 4 - 5 minutes to make sure all the air is out. Then close the valve and leave the filter to do its own thing for about 2 - 3 Days. Then slowly open the valve so that the water drips out at about 1 drip per second. You will smell a frot egg smell when you first open the drip rate valve. that is normal. Just don't open the valve too quickly and allow the drip rate to run more than 3 - 4 drips per second.

Test the nitrate of the water coming out of the drip rate adjuster. Some nitrate test kits may give you a false reading because the pH drops and affects their reading. Use a salifert, Tropic Marin or D-D test kit.

Hope this helps you guys. And welcome to the nitrate filter clan. :thumbup:

Last edited: 24 Mar 2012
    Neville and Mewik like this.
Recent Posts