Boyu Nano Understanding And Maintanance

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm sure you that have proudly aquired the BOYU 130L NANO will agree that the instruction manual is non-existant.

Could someone give some info as to exacty what the tank comprise of, what defaults to look at, removing and cleaning the various compontents?

I understand this might be a very dumb question but I dont really know what to look for as everything is hidden behind the tank?

Any help will be appreciated ?

This in no way dumb it could save your tank although i dont have an answer

Hello Sammy - there should only be a "filtration" area at the "back-end" of the tank. Best would be to remove the filtration material that you have received WITH the tank, as this will only cause you a LOT of frustration a few months down the line....
The water flows in at one side, and is pumped out on the other side of this "filtration area" by a standard power-head.

You would want to look at Matt's and Quinton's nano threads... They have quite a LOT of detail on how they modified their Boyu nano's....

Hey sammy.

I've removed all the bioballs, ceramic rings and sponges (there's 3 of them in the 1st chamber on the right).

In terms of cleaning I just do 10% water changes weekly. And replace carbon every 2 weeks. I have also added a phosphate remover and purigen in my rear compartments.

I have my skimmer skimming pretty wet so just remove and clean skimmer cup every 2 days.

Any other questions please PM me :)

was just wondering how the filter system worked as its difficult to see whats happening at the rear chamber? Whats the water flow in the system ? Does it enter in by the protien skimmer on right ??? I need to know where is the best place to place my filter floss

Cheers guys

Yes water enters in on the right, then goes over & under to the next chamber and so on and so forth until exits on the left (so flow is right to left)

Here's how I do it and I find it works rather well:

1st chamber (all the way on the right): Filter floss on a stand I made with eggcrate :) I rely on this to catch all the main detritus and crap entering the filter compartments.

2nd chamber: Skimmer, which removes proteins etc from the water. Underneath which I run charcoal, granular phosphate remover, and purigen (to polish the water)

3rd chamber
: Removed all the liverock rubble, replaced it with fist size pieces of liverock. This is to aid my biological filtration and the rocks stay relatively clean as MOST of the detritus is removed before reaching this chamber.

4th chamber: Heater & return pump. Soon to be upgrading as i'd like more flow through the rear chambers :)

ok thanks for this valuable info. My protien skimmer sits in my far right chamber, so do you recommend i move it into the next and only leave the most right chamber with filter floss ???

Sammy: I didn't want my filter floss in same chamber as my skimmer purely because I felt it would reduce the performance of the skimmer.

also with 4 chambers you can afford to give the skimmer its own chamber. This also makes it easier to remove the cup of the skimmer and clean it out etc because there's no floss in the way :D

makes sense, however how did you attach your skimmer into the new chamber as I only have the holding fingers to hook the skimmer onto in the first chamber.

There's a clip that comes with the whole setup. It attaches to the side of the skimmer and then you can just clip it over the false plastic wall between the display and the rear sump

Keep the water entry gates at the back right of the wall closed. although this leaks in any case.

Yeah, they do leak unfortunately. I was wanting to put a surface skimmer on the top right (the one they use on the JBJ Nano cubes, but I think with the leaky gates this probably won't work??

Is there any way to seal up these gates without draining the tank?

hmmm, somehow i just cannot see what component actually pulls the water -into the rightmost chamber, also i slipped my arm down the rightmost feeling for hole passages between the chambers for flow but cannot seem to feel any????

I hope i'm making myself clear?????

Sammy there's definitely gaps right at the bottom between each chamber...

Either way, whats NB is that you remove the detritus using filter floss and skimmer, that way it won't clog up any other filter medium etc in the rear.

you can see how the water gets through on the right, at the water level, and the conpartments run down from that.

yeah I guess so !!! The problem I'm experiencing is that I've not changed the setup as it came ??? I'm seeing now that my temp of the tank is 22 deg c athough I've turned up my heater to max of 32 deg??? What I did find that chamber 3 where the heater is is pretty hot and a vast difference to the other chambers ?

Hence my questions about water flow and mixing between chambers ?

Sammy: I found the same thing, I think a good way to tackle this is improving flow between display and rear chambers? I'd buy a bigger pump and see how it goes :D

Take out all the crap in the back, except the skimmer, heater and pump. so that the bio balls, ceramic tubes in those black net bags and the sponges, I think their are thre or four around. This is bad, and will cause problems in your tank in the future. This should help with water flow as well, and heat up the tank to the correct temp.

Back
Top Bottom