Boyu HS 60 /180 liter

Thanks for your critical comments always appreciated guys,I am swopping them at the local fish shop,its just hard cos had them for 2 years!

Thanks for your critical comments always appreciated guys,I am swopping them at the local fish shop,its just hard cos had them for 2 years!

Ranvir thats very mature and logical thinking,I can imagine its not easy giving away your prized fish,maybe sell it here on the forum to members that you know so that you can visit them in future.

Why did you go smaller btw?Lol most reefers always go biiiigger:p

Already swopped lion fish for a tiny version,well I just really liked this tank! The pics do it no justice! It really has everything,fans,uv sterilizer,mh light,led moonlight,nitrate reactor,chiller,so I cundt say no! Mayb I'll reset up my previous tank and put the tangs in der;)

Already swopped lion fish for a tiny version,well I just really liked this tank! The pics do it no justice! It really has everything,fans,uv sterilizer,mh light,led moonlight,nitrate reactor,chiller,so I cundt say no! Mayb I'll reset up my previous tank and put the tangs in der;)

Not a bad idea or sell it and go a little bigger fish only,doesnt have to cost much since water is free in durban:biggrin:(you lucky buggers!) and your t5 lights will be fine for a fish only....also a cannister filter is fine for a fish only,just do regular water changes every month or two.

I say go for like a 1,2-1,5m tank will be very easy with fish only.tangs will love you for the swimming space:)

I always wanted a lion fish but I dont wanna get stung,have you ever been stung?how bad is it?

And yes that is truely an almost ready to use out of the box tank,unlike the others that claim to be....only thing I would add to filtration is some PO4 remover,water and rocks.What are they going for now?

Well I have used a canister for two years,with corals,even the guys at northlands pets do,it just a major misconception that it is a nitrate factory! Over feeding is the major problem cos leftover food gets sucked up by the intake pipe of the canister.So personally I add a thin porous piece of sponge into the intake pipe that way water still can pass through,but debris cant:D
As for clean sea water in durban,lol no way! I tried that and big mistake!parasites like crazy.best place is south coast,has clean,clear water.The boyu tank was R9000,but retail is around R12,and I wudnt mind setting up a 4ft to 6ft tank,just buying salt will make hole in my pocket ;)

The lion fish are pretty reserved!they keep to themself,even when I put my hand in the tank,I even have shrimps in the same tank,the only thing is offcos if any fish can fit into its mouth,say goodbye!lol! My fire goby was lunch!

From wat I hear their sting is really painfull ,and url be in agony fo about 24 hours,not fata just extreme burning sensation and possible nausea and vomiting.

Well I have used a canister for two years,with corals,even the guys at northlands pets do,it just a major misconception that it is a nitrate factory! Over feeding is the major problem cos leftover food gets sucked up by the intake pipe of the canister.So personally I add a thin porous piece of sponge into the intake pipe that way water still can pass through,but debris cant:D
As for clean sea water in durban,lol no way! I tried that and big mistake!parasites like crazy.best place is south coast,has clean,clear water.The boyu tank was R9000,but retail is around R12,and I wudnt mind setting up a 4ft to 6ft tank,just buying salt will make hole in my pocket ;)

Hmm others use NSW in durban without complaints about parasites,what type of parasites we talking?whitespot?

You could always fill it up then leave to cycle for 8 weeks in which time parasites lifecycle will mean they die off:pIf I were you or living in durbs it would be a reality by now.

And yes the cannister filters are not that bad,but also not the most efficient either.Especially in low nutrient coral systems...they mainly help with ammonia and nitrites but not much help with nitrates/phosphates.Hence I would only use in a fish only tank.

Well then. are you sure we talking about durban??:eek: most of the water is polluted,rotting bait,people use it as a toilet etc etc some people have thier annual bath too.

If we going use it then it has to be from deeper in,preferably off a boat . I know South coast and north coast lots of people keep marine tanks in those areas cos the water is perfect.

i guess could pour the water in a spare tank and, leave it for a few weeks with a
uv sterilizer hooked up:thumbup:. Yeah Ich, whitespot etc

Not really 180l

Hi

Great tank, bought one myself as well, but still busy setting it up. Will be following your progress with interest, will only set mine up in about a months time.

Pls take note when you calculate things that it is not 180l water, but only 128l (e.g 34 gal). After sand, rock and equipment, you will probable be down coser to around 100l.

The 180l comes from using the outside diamater, a sneaky marketing ploy if I have seen any. Your canister should give you some extra volume. Can send you the "water" measurements if you want?

How is it doing in terms of heat with the MH in the cosed hood and so close to the water? Are you running a chiller?

Also is the skimmer that came with it any good?

Lastly, the de-nitrator, wondering if I should even bother setting it up, any experience with it?

Congrads len:1: I did mean 180 liter before displacement.The light does generate a lot of heat buddy, but surprisingly the built in fans are pretty effective in pushing out hot air,in addition i leave the feeding compartment open, in summer ,il have to hook up the chiller no doubt.

The skimmer does the job, but im really not impressed, any ideas how to add a hang on skimmer here?? wana use my old reef octupus!!The de-nitrators are pretty effective,once they kick in so do hook it up.

overall excellent tank !!:slayer: Why dont you get yours cycling in the mean while???

50484e01c55a55d92.jpg

Just got sum nori paper for powder blue, been very stressed with the move,confident he be well agen within a month.

Congrads len:1: I did mean 180 liter before displacement.

The sad thing is that it is only 128l before displacement. The water hight is only 50cm.

I got mine in Cpt for a very, very good price from a LFS.

The MH units are not popular here because of the heat, I am plumbing in a big chiller to hook up to mine.

Hang on skimmer will be a challenge without cutting the hood a lot. Also will make adding a chiller tuff.

Check out my thread on nano skimmers for it.

Your previos tank looks great, why did you move to this one?

don't know what it was about the boyu that made me want to buy it der and then!! So i thought would put all my effort into a single tank,but now looks like il be resetting the old tank up at the weekend for my tangs.

Instant love

Hi

Same happen here. Think it is the light that attracted me, can now (theoretically) keep anything.

Also like high tank, know that they have drawbacks, but more open than the same volume "flat" tank.

Is also a great size (128l) for a nano. Still retain the cost of operations benefit with some decent extra water volume. Think it can be a nice zen garden.

Final one was the filter space, nice and big (for a nano) with a separate lid and some workable space under the hood above the water.

Why don't you add a chiller and turn it into a "coral" tank?

i think it was the same thing,wen i popped the hood, en i saw the 150 watt mh,i think then my mind was made up, oh yes the protein skimmer cup is removable thou it is tight buddy. :slayer:

and yes i do have a Hailea chiller, but for now the fans are pretty good at dissipating the heat so no worries thus far, how much electricity does chillers take, cos that with mh lights and knowing tar riffs are going up next year worries me!!:eek:

Good set up you got going,what lights did you have on your previous tank? also how many litres was that tank?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom