Boxing Shrimps

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by deang, 26 Jan 2010.

1. deang

deang

Hi guys,
    Anyone got any thoughts on these chaps?

I lost a fish this week - a beautiful Bicolour Angel. Could my boxer have nabbed him?
    He chases my other things around the tank - is he worth keeping or should i trade him in?
    :p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brandonb

brandonb

Boxer shrimps only chase away intruders to their territory, your boxer may eat the angel but only after its dead.

IMO the boxer is innocent.

PS I have a boxer shrimp with some really small fish and I trust him completely.

Brandon

4. deang

deang Thread Starter

My boxers territory is the entire tank - he marches up and won the whole day, especially around feeding time. Got loads of live rock, which he generally sits on (hangs on upsidedown a flat piece).
    I got 2 Fire shrimps - which he generally terrorises. Although they have been together for 3 months now. The fires like to hide in the crevises coming out around feeding time.

The boxer though, chases everything.... little concerned as to whether he is "safe" to have...

5. brandonb

brandonb

My boxer and my fathers only stay under one rock and at feeding time they come out, they also only terrorise shrimps and fish that come near his rock...

It is weird that he doesnt stay under the same rock, I thought they stay in their territory till feeding time and then move back...

How big is the tank?

Brandon

6. deang

deang Thread Starter

re: Boxers and fire shrimps....

Tank is 1.5m x 50 x 60
    The boxer is basically on steroids. He's grown huge. Sheaded his shell a few times (4 times) in as many months and just keeps on growing. reckon his "feelers" must be at least 15cm each.

The fire shrimps also growing nicely. Have also sheaded their shell a few times and are growing. One fire lost a pincher to the boxer, but it is growing back now.

All the shrimps are very bright in colour and healthy.

7. brandonb

brandonb

Yes boxers will attack other shrimps if they enter their territory... which in your case is the whole tank

Maybe someone else could help her as I never had a boxer wander the whole tank.

Brandon

Recent Posts