Urgent help needed Boxing shrimp on back

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Jamie, 29 Dec 2014.

1. Jamie

Jamie

Just got a boxing shrimp, tank 3 weeks in cycle, acclimated him slowly ... he is on his back doing nothing
    :(:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JS

JS

Ah no man.....did you test your water before adding him?

4. Jamie

Jamie Thread Starter

only salinity, temp was 26.... he died.

5. Reaper

Reaper

Was he your first to be added to the tank? You need to test your water for no2, no3 and ammonia. Shrimps is specially vulnerable to water impurities.

Did you treat your water with stability or special blend to begin with? 3 weeks is a short cycle if you don't know your water parameters.

TaahirS and JS like this.
  6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you are doing a natural cycle then your water is probably going through a toxic stage and that's what may have killed the shrimp. You have to wait for the cycle to complete and for your water to become inhabitable before you add livestock. See the graphs in this article for an easy explanation... Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Reaper and TaahirS like this.
  7. Jamie

Jamie Thread Starter

thanks guys, reaper he was first addition, guy at pet shop said i could introduce invertebrates at this stage...

8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

treat shrimp just like anemones and other hard to keep corals and only add them when the tank is fully mature and stable..

tyronvs, Reaper and TaahirS like this.
  9. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You should have first tested your parameters and if they were good you should add snails and hermit crabs which are generally hardy. This is probably what he meant. Shrimps should only be added later.

tyronvs and Reaper like this.
  10. Reaper

Reaper

You should take a sample of your water to the pet shop and ask the owner to test it. It will probably be toxic. Then ask him if he would add inverts to that water... if he says yes, then he's a moron who knows your stock will die and you will spend more at his shop.

Do yourself a favour and take some water to the shop each time before you buy something. Have it tested. Or better yet, get yourself some testing kits, specially for the 3 main problems, the no2, no3 and ammonia. My 1st kit consisted of those, as well as phosphate, and alkaline. Then don't add any live stock before your parameters drops to well within the stable limits. Don't take chances on this, or you'll keep losing live stock. I added my first fish after only 2 weeks, but my water was treated with special blend and prime, and the parameters were stable and well below toxic levels. Then I didn't take it too slow with adding more stock, but I know the system could handle it because I kept on testing the water and made sure there's no risk.

Having said all that, there will be times when you will lose stock from the lfs that was just not healthy... a good rule of thumb for me is I never buy a fish from a tank that has a unhealthy or dead fish in already. Also when I choose a fish, I don't always pic the biggest one, but rather the one with the brightest colour, they tend to be the healthiest.

Hope this helps buddy. Good luck

TaahirS likes this.
  11. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Don't ask the lfs but rather the people on masa about new additions, we don't have anything to gain. The lfs need to make money.

Franna29 and weezle like this.
  12. Jamie

Jamie Thread Starter

okay, thanks alot guys! I will relly take things slow, Ive got a snail now..its alive...i also have a black molly (to test if water is inhabitable) and hes doing pretty well...I am only adding coral and proper livestock mid January ..will have to gets a test kit and supplements.. which supplements are best?

13. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Don't put in a Molly while the tank is still cycling, rather test the water parameters if you want to make sure it's all good.

dallasg likes this.
  14. weezle

weezle

Is a Molly not a fresh water fish? Why would a person add a freshwater fish to a salt water aquarium just to test the water?
    This seems like a stupid way to test your water, buy a test kit rather and don't dose anything other than stability or something similar to aid in cycling your tank

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i am not sure which LFS you go to, but i normally try stay neutral, but i wouldn't go there anymore, any place that suggests delicate invertebrates as first inhabitants, or any in fact without testing needs to learn about the hobby and keeping animals

my 0.000000002c

TaahirS likes this.
  16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

they are a brackish water fish, they and guppies can live in both

yes its a debated topic

17. weezle

weezle

That snail ain't gona last too long with dead mollies floating around the tank

18. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

It's the only lfs in bloem. Since it's the only one you would be forced to go their just don't listen to their advice.

My 2c

19. Brendan6

Brendan6

There are many many reefers in bloem to assist you @Jamie. The bloem mafia is strong here.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. Jamie

Jamie Thread Starter

anyone here from bloem? If so please tell me if there are any other marine places to buy stuff from...thanks

21. CameL

CameL

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, and it's ability to link people, you are able to buy and get advice from people pretty much all over the world.
    Try looking up some of the forums sponsors.
    I personally have had a few conversations with Andre from Reef Aquatics, he can give you good advice and can ship you what you need. Generally within 3-4 days you can get anything from test kits to that latest skimmer not available in the stand alone marine shop in bloem. This last part is just personal preference, each to their own.

Reaper, dallasg and TaahirS like this.
Recent Posts