Boxer shrimp knocked out in first round.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Meneer, 4 Apr 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

I put in a Boxer Shrimp yesterday, and it was dead within an hour.

I also have 2 Clowns, 1 Blue legged Hermit, and 2 Turbo snails.

Water Parameters

SG 1025
    Ammonia 0.5
    Nitrite 0.1
    Nitrate 10
    dKH 10
    Temperature 24.9

Treating with Stability.

I had 2 hitchhiker crabs in a Piece of LR that I bought.
    I caught 1 but the other 1 is still missing.

The Boxer was behind the same piece of LR that that crab was on.
    I am hoping that the crab did it. My Clowns and hermit seems fine.

Is there anything else I can check for?

Tank running for 3 weeks now. Was started with RO and Salt Mix.
    I have never used copper in the tank.

This is the crab that is still in my LR

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Mmmmmm One of the most finicky with regards to acclimatization are inverts .... Shrimps need quite a long time to get used to your tanks parameters .... Best is to drip acclimatise them as this allows them adjust to your tanks conditions gradually .... Maybe over a period of 2 to 3 hours ..... remember if they came from a pet shop the SG was much lower to yours ... thats also a sure killer if changed too quickly ... Sorry for loss bud but its a learning curve..... Ammonia should be down to zero ....

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How long did you take to acclimatize it.

Remember inverts, especially snails and shrimps take double the time of fish.

I got a small little tank, about 20 by 10cm that I float in my sump. Hold the small tank in position using my magnet cleaners. Add about half the water from the bag in there with whatever I introduce. If I got 2 bags, then I throw half the water out and also hang the bag in the sump with clothes pegs. (You can do it in display, but my euro bracing is in the way). Anyway, I use a drip bought at the hospital pharmacy. And hook it into display. and other side into small tank or bag. Adjust the drip to slowly drip. When almost full, then I empty it halfway again and repeat the process. Sometimes I go for round number three. Each round I set to about 45 minutes to an hour. If you float the bags in the display then obviously you cannot use the drip line. Then I add a small plastic cup of water every 5 to 10 minutes.

For inverts, I half the drip rate and do everything slower. Last shrimps I bough, I used 6 hours.

Hermits, especially the local rock pool ones, are a lot stronger and can take being dump directly into your tank. Do not try it with the expensive important ones. I once dumped empty shells as future homes into my tank. These shells was in cold saltwater at elevated salinity levels for 4 days. Wanted to throw them away, as they "was" empty, but they looked nice. So I dumped them into the tank. Within 1 minute, they all walked away. And survived. Had hermits in and I though it was just empty shells.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  5. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Meneer, u setting yourself up for failure, nevermind wat the other guys said, with all due respect to them..... Yor tank is far from ready, ur readings should be enough proof, u rushing things which only leads to disaster, your tank is brand new so should cycle for atleast 6 weeks and only wen paremeters are stable for a full week, u should start adding, an slowly, no rush, specially inverts, an even more so boxing shrimp, they should only be added to mature systems.... Only inverts ok for now are hermits an snails, please be wary, sterkte

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Ok - I think that might have been the mistake...

I Acclimatised it only for about half an hour.... adding half a cup of water every 5 minutes to the bag from the pet shop.

@JsPLAYn - I hear what you are saying, but my parameters has been stable for more than a week. I did not have a high bioload (5kg's lr) initially, so my bacteria colony and the die-offs that I did get was not very high. I added another 5kg's lr with mushrooms etc, and after 5 days my parameters was still the same. That is why I decided to up the bioload.

With the Sera test kits that I uses for Ammonia and Nitrite, there is no "0" - only "<0.1 - and that is what I get with the readings.

That is why I am slowly adding stock to UP my bacteria load. Otherwise my tank can run for 5 months without ever raising the bacteria colony. I am also using Stability to try and raise the bacteria count.
    "Stability® will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome". Stability® is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Unlike competing products, the bacteria employed by Stability® are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability® is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of over use. Stability® is the culmination of nearly a decade of research and development and represents the current state of the art in natural biological management."

7. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Meneer ... You can't determine stable paremeters after just 2 weeks lol.... A standard cycle is 6 weeks an thereafter u check stability.... In your 1st post u said your ammonia reading is:
    SG 1025
    Ammonia 0.5
    Nitrite 0.1
    Nitrate 10
    dKH 10
    Temperature 24.9
    That's clearly states that your tank is not completed its cycle, amonia MUST be zero, an nitrites 2.... Nitrates nt too bad for fish but affects corals an inverts.....

8. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Thanks JsPLAYn

I think you are just wanting my tank NOT to complete the cycle because the bucketload of frags you are making for me is not ready yet... :tt2:

9. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Meneer, lol, u see its our duty to guide u along, I might not be the expert but we all make the same mistake in the beginin, an that's to rush, we then screw everything up, loose a lot of money, the eventually we start over an do it rite, we only trying to prevent u from making that same mistake , but like the saying goes..... " No1 can learn from anothers mistake, let them make the mistake themselve, an the the realisation kicks in,think back an say why did I not listen, lol,"

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Ummm, Are you sure that the shrimp is actually dead, and not just molted? The reason for asking is that shrimps quite often molt within hours of being introduced to a new tank because of the change in parameters. The molted exosceleton looks just like a dead shrimp, but there is no "meat" on the inside...

Hennie

11. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Hi - yes it is dead - I took it out of the dt and put it in the sump overnight.
    This morning it was still lying in the same place, same position.

I think I killed by not acclimatising properly.:(
    Lesson Learned.

12. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Reef Maniac ... Yeah they sneaky little buggers, so many times I see exoskeleton, then I wana cry coz they nower in site, then coupla houra later they pop out lol

13. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Meneer, you still have ammonia and nitrite in your tank. Your tank has NOT cycled and is not safe for LS. You only start looking for 'stable' parameters ONCE your ammonia and nitire are ZERO.

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

What will also help lower the bad parimeters is if you now upgrade the skimmer, els u gna get bad nitrates

15. Suhayl

Suhayl

Meneer to be honest you must be having kak water to kill a shrimp. Your tank far fom ready, give it some otherwise you going to become a fish murderer.

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

thats not a very friendly response.

Shrimp are sensitive to water changes, especially salinity. It sounds like he did not acclimitise for long enough.

17. Suhayl

Suhayl

From my experiance they as hard as nails. Fish are more sensitive to salinity and temperature, they would die first.

18. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

@Suhayl - 2 Clowns inserted on the same day into the same tank makes your advice LOL.

@jaybeepee please read my comment "With the Sera test kits that I uses for Nitrite, there is no "0" - only "<0.1 - and that is what I get with the readings."
    There is NO "0"

Again - this is not my first marine tank. And I am not a moron.

19. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@ Meneer, we all goin by the parimeters u gave which is....

Water Parameters

SG 1025
    Ammonia 0.5
    Nitrite 0.1
    Nitrate 10
    dKH 10
    Temperature 24.9

So we derive our conclusions an made our statements based on that,sorry if u took offence meneer, but u asked an we commented

20. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Is the ammonia reading 0.5 though? if so - that is bad in its own right. With your nitrite being so low I am inclined to say that your cycle is still in phase 1 (bacteria responsible for breaking ammonia to nitrite). If thats the case you still have a way to go to a cycled tank, as this can take anything from a couple of days to weeks.

21. Suhayl

Suhayl

You talking big Meneer for a beginner. I have seen many people like you and wont argue.

Recent Posts