Box or No Box

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Marx, 2 May 2012.

1. Marx

Marx

Hi everyone

I was interested in getting myself a yellow boxfish......BUT... I read that if it gets scared it will let off a poison that will kill everything in the tank including itself.

Now I dont know anyone that has ever had one of these, so im unsure if can keep it or not. I have a lionfish in my tank, but he is a little baby, small.

So my question is, how jittery are these fish? in terms of how easily is this fish frightened? As im really not going to be happy if everything in my tank dies!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hails

Hails

Reading the title of the thread I would generally say box (especially in cricket), but in this case perhaps not. The box fish is a slow eater, needs peaceful tank mates as they can be quite jittery.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

And they grow big. What size tank do you have?

5. Marx

Marx Thread Starter

Thanks

Tank dimensions 1220x450x500

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud they are difficult to keep. Very prone to MI and also very difficult to get to eat. When you buy the fish make sure it is eating and that it has been quarantined. They grow slowly so your tank should be OK for a year or two if you get a juvenile.

Always keep a large tub of carbon and ready made saltwater at handy. You never know when you may need it should things go wrong. Lion fish should be OK with the box fish. But no damsels, triggers etc...

Once they get to know you they become wonderful pets. But please make sure you are ready for a challenge and read up as much as you can.

7. Marx

Marx Thread Starter

they stunning fish, but thats why I asked, cause the stuff i read doesnt give first hand information on them.

If i may ask why the tub of carbon? I actually do keep mixed saltwater handy already.

Im actually faced with a dilema now,cause I really like the triggers aswell, but apparently they nip corals.

As i said in the beginning, i just dont want someone who comes and visits and does the 'tapping-the-glass-hello-fishy-thing' and then he kills everything.

8. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

The carbon would be used when your box did get a scare and poisoned your tank.
    Carbon reacts with the poisons and help to clean the water , but I may stand corrected...

9. Marx

Marx Thread Starter

Ok cause I know that carbon clarifys the water in a tropical tank. That is another question I have yet to get 'clarity' on, should it be used in a marine tank?

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes that is correct Gesiggie.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Some say yes and others No. We run carbon on most or our systems. Especially SPS where we want clear water for the lighting. Does strip trace elements out of the water column but we use a premium salt brand that keeps this in check with regular water changes.

12. Marx

Marx Thread Starter

Great, thanks so, much for the advice.

13. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

@wild on pets has one in a nano and I think it's on it's own, maybe give them a call to get some "first hand" info on them?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Go speak to Sidney or Brin at @wildonpets.

Recent Posts