Box jellyfish care

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Midnight Reefer, 1 Nov 2013.

1. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Hi all

Am overhauling the jellyfish displays on monday and was wondering if anyone has seen any good Kreisel designs or ideas on creating that gentle circular current for said Kreisel.

Jellyfish are loved by the public but not treated with the respect they deserve.

Box jellies don't really adapt to a kreisel well which is why I have a large acrylic cylinder, about 1m in diameter, with one pump which isn't doing a good job for the box jellies health.

It's an open system so water quality is no worry, what type of flow design could be used here?

Boxies are free swimming but like to rest at night, probably getting a diablo DC to create the circ with the variable speed and slow start being the ultimate choice for adjusting the display flow.

Think out of the box......jelly

the crazier the ideas the better, I am not having an uninteresting jelly displays!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Have not seen a jelly, cold water or cave system tank on MASA.

Love to hear about them.... and I hope they become part of this forum. We have specimens on our doorstep.

4. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer Thread Starter

@Nemos Janitor Always a pleasure hearing from you dude.

I will try and fine some pics but its the weekend so am doing the overhaul monday :)

Im just fishing for ideas, what would be your idea of an awesome jellyfish display? I have boxies and moon jellies.

The cylinder needs a circulation of some sort hidden from view to make the boxies swim up and then down again without sitting at the bottom, its about 1.6M high so alot of 'headroom'

And how would you generate a gentle flow of say 150L/hr without having to put backpressure on a pump? Any variable pump options?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Wesd

Wesd

if you've got a cylinder, do a small rock pinnacle in the centre of it so that you can hide 2 flow pumps (if you make the rock pile to the outer edge you can run pvc pipes from the pumps in opposite directions so that the flow can run along the acrylic creating the necessary circulation), to give the display something different you could run a combination of blue and a few white leds with a black light. It should give an irridescent effect to the jellies :)

6. Brendan6

Brendan6

Very keen on this project.
    I have a jelly fish obsessed better half:tt2:

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I have seen the moon jelly tanks and systems at inter zoo. Going there in June 2014 BTW. I did get a brochure from those guys. Will scratch and see what I can find in my closet for you.

8. Midnight Reefer

Thanks guys.

But remember jellyfish are delicate......well not too delicate, but the flow should be very gentle and calm inducing.
    @Wesd, that would be cool but remember that jellyfish are pretty stupid and a pointy rock is a flesh ripper lol. Not that the boxies are endangered, I catch them in the harbour lol :)

9. Brendan6

Brendan6

I cannot believe how they thrive in the harbour water. I am currently on the rig in the harbour and whenever I get dock side, I watch them swimming through garbage. :eek: I was lucky enough to see a jelly dive bomb the rigs pontoon and catch a fish. :thumbup:

10. Midnight Reefer

Thats why I love the waterfront, yes the water is oily and looks nasty, but we cut fishing line and nylon cord etc from seals who perch behind the aquarium alot.

Boxies can live is absolutely siff water, the water quality we give them is heaven in exhibit. I even siphon their home!

But I do not like treating them as expendable, I am trying to extend their lifespan in captivity to be honest as I am not happy with their care regime.

11. Midnight Reefer

12. Brendan6

Brendan6

I hope you can get some fantastic results and in a few months, share the knowledge with me as I promised the lady I would start up a jelly tank.

If I was a fish, this harbour would be a no no. But hey, plenty of food for the jellies.

13. Wesd

Wesd

i never said it had to be pointy ;) you can use smooth/rounded river rocks with no ill effects, as long as they are packed tightly enough that the jellies cant get between them, there shouldnt be any problems :)

14. Midnight Reefer

@Wesd Can you perhaps suggest an idea? im serious lol, I'm the first actual coral enthusiast to be a appointed an aquarist so I need to make the exhibits special :)

Still awaiting some crazy, yet logical, ideas :)

15. Wesd

Wesd

where about are you that you have exhibits, two oceans? Back to the display, i do think you could put to many corals in with the jellies (although you could try those strawberry anemones that you guys get down there) but the rocks are not something you're going to see very often in a cylinder.

You would place the pumps at the bottom of the cylinder in the centre, you would have to use a large pvc pipe or build a plastic 'box' that would run the height of the rock work around the pumps (this would be so that you could access the pumps for maintainance) then just build up a structure around this with smooth rocks until you can no longer see it (you would also obviously have to build a lid/cap for the box that can support a few rocks, so it can be hidden). If you want to add a little something more your best bet would be some fake seaweed, although you would have to make sure that the jellies dont get entangled in it.

here is a very bad drawning of what i mean (dont judge my lack of artistic talent :tt2:)

jelly.jpg

jelly.jpg

16. Wesd

Wesd

the jellies you obviously cant go to crazy with, but if you need ideas for other exhibits just post a pic of what it looks like currently (and whats going to be in there) and i'll be happy to help. I actually volunteer at ushaka and they let me design/overhaul a couple of the small exhibits and ive given input on some of the larger ones aswell, so i do have a little bit of first hand experience on how to do it ;)

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

I would make a curved bottom and put two curved pieces of plastic at top of tank with filter mesh in one leading to overflow and just below the surface on the second plastic flap I would have the slow jet of new water aimed across the surface towards overflow mesh. This would create a slow elongated oval movement along the full depth of cylinder and at the same time keep mesh clean and slowly circulate the jellies.

18. Fanie

Fanie

I'm busy building myself a kreisel after I saw the moon jelly tank at the two oceans aquarium. I was thinking of putting a box jelly in there, but you say it won't work? Maybe I'll just put a moon jellyfish in my tank. Do you know where I could catch one( without having to dive or go out on a boat)?

How does the box jelly tanks flow work at the moment? When I saw it at the aquarium, I thought it wasn't ideal because the jellies layed on the bottom. I didn't know box jellies prefer less flow.

I kept a small Chrysaora fulgida in the only corner -less tank I could find( a big fish bowl) until I finished my kreisel. It turns out even with water changes every second day I can't keep it healthy. It's busy shrinking and is a quarter the size it was. It has also lost all his stinging tentacles.:(

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it's not everyday I get to talk to someone who has actually kept South African jellies.

19. Midnight Reefer

No worries @Fanie

The box jelly display at the moment is not at its best, they are the Ferrari of jellyfish and can pulse at the same speed at as someone swimming, this is fast for a jelly. they do this 24/7 so need food constantly in the form of live mysid which they love chasing. Yes they can see to a relative point.

The cyrsaora's are difficult, all except the upside down jelly, theyre a joke, I feed compass jellies and other with a hake/pilchard, mysis and white mussel smoothie, literally blended and injected into their feeding tentacles

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what space is available at both top and bottom of this tank. a Picture or a drawing would really help us to give you some workable advice.

21. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi @Midnight Reefer, sorry, I only saw this thread now...
    Would you perhaps post a pic of the display? I've got plans for a nice kreisel I designed last year with adjustable flow rates, & has an auto cleaning syphon valve to drain out any detritus that settles on the bottom... I could possibly modify it for you... Do you have dimensions for the current one?

Recent Posts