Box fish yes or no?

mike Bushie

Chromis
Reaction score
really not to sure witch one just said boxfish. it was small yellowish in colour with black spots.
does flow effect them?
I have a nano what size tank is good for these guys?

sunburst

Foxface
Reaction score
I do not know of any boxies that are suitable for reef aquariums. They need a diet of varied meaty foods ie squid, shrimp , muscles. When stressed they exude a toxin that can kill your other fish. So for a nano i would say a definite no. Sorry;

They for some reason make woman go gaga. Always puzzled me. A bigger tank maybe; but pay attention to diet

mike Bushie

Chromis
Reaction score
why do you think i want one:thumbup:
no just joking saw like 5 at the pet store today and they very cool little fish.
I thought they only released the toxin if the die.
how big of a tank to they need for future reference

Mekaeel

Reaction score
really not to sure witch one just said boxfish. it was small yellowish in colour with black spots.
does flow effect them?
I have a nano what size tank is good for these guys?
no,no boxfish in a nano.put one in a 2ft holding tank some years back and this thing wiped out every fish in the tank inc itself.
same happend once when i was diving,caught a few fish and placed in my cachbox and then decided to catch a boxfish i saw,wiped out every fish in the catch although the catchbox did have holes for water to pass through while its submerged in water

Rock pool

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Big NO! Also caught one a few months back and had it in the same bucket as the other fish I caught. I slipped and dropped the bucket obviously causing it to stress which caused the release of toxins ending in death to all.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
that pretty little yellow and black spots, will turn muddy brown and around 300mm square in around two years, so not quite the little darling you were looking for, not only that, if you upset it, it will kil all it's tank buddies, not a good long term prospect. there are however loads of good looking/interesting fish for your delectation, notably, mandarins (given enough time for your tank to mature) gobies, blennies, tangs (if your tank is big enough) certain angels - centropyge species don't get too big - nor do many nip at corals, so good luck with your choices.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
that pretty little yellow and black spots, will turn muddy brown and around 300mm square in around two years, so not quite the little darling you were looking for, not only that, if you upset it, it will kil all it's tank buddies, not a good long term prospect. there are however loads of good looking/interesting fish for your delectation, notably, mandarins (given enough time for your tank to mature) gobies, blennies, tangs (if your tank is big enough) certain angels - centropyge species don't get too big - nor do many nip at corals, so good luck with your choices.
KillJoy :p

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I'm sure Alan has got one in his tank, and Tom I think.
it doesn't help when bloody kids are nipping at your heels, sod off and get back to your jig-saw puzzle
:lol::lol::lol: