Bowini external canister filter

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im getting my tank set up at the moment and am looking for an external canister filter at a good price.

I was told I could pick up a "BOWINI" external canister filter for around R 650. I have been offered a 2nd hand one for R 450 but im a little nervous on getting one without a guarantee. Can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on a new Bowini? Dealers?

thanx alot

ciao

Not sure where you can get one, but just a word of warning. If you don't clean the canister filter regularly you will have loads of problems with nitrates. Been there done that. Ideally you need a sump.

Best of luck with your setup and :welcome7: to MASA. :wave2:

I agree, rather get the tank drilled if it's not and add a sump under it. Then you have space for a skimmer, heater, a deep sand bed etc. This will also increase the volume of the system which will make it more stable ;)

A sump will also be cheaper than the canister filter and the skimmer and heater you need anyway. A deep sand bed is a natural way of removing nitrates in a system where a canister filter can cause nitrates problems.

Cool, thanx alot guys.

I was at a pet shop recently (has all the marine stuff) and was told that I can use the external canister filter and I dont necessarily need a sump or protein skimmer if im prepared to do a 25% water change every two weeks.... is there any truth in that?

I plan to make a sump in the new year... going up to jhb in about 3 weeks and will build it there.

Cool, thanx alot guys.

I was at a pet shop recently (has all the marine stuff) and was told that I can use the external canister filter and I dont necessarily need a sump or protein skimmer if im prepared to do a 25% water change every two weeks.... is there any truth in that?

I plan to make a sump in the new year... going up to jhb in about 3 weeks and will build it there.

You can probably get away with it but like I said

1 - A sump increases the total system volume which will make it a more stable system regarding ph, temp and salinity swings

2 - a skimmer is a good back up incase something goes wrong also, not just for mechanical filtration

3 - you can hide all the extras like heaters and probes etc in the sump

4 - you can have a DSB

5 - you can grow macro algae like chaetomorpha (AKA - chaeto) which also uses up nitrates and gives a nice breeding and living spot for all sorts of amphipods, copepods, micro bristle stars, etc

6 - the lights on a reverse cycle in the sump will also help to keep the pH more stable between day and night

7 - if one fish is hurt you can put him in the sump to recover as other fish might bully him

8 - you can also do water changes and dosing of certain stuff through the sump and the changes will be much less as the mixing will be done before going into the tank

As you can see there are a lot of advantages by having a sump and there are probably more that I didn't mention - way more than having a canister filter.

o ja, of coarse the petshop will tell you that as they will make an easy sale ;)

Cool, thanx alot guys.

Hi Wayne

What size tank are you looking at building? Pet shops normally tell you what you want to hear. They will sell you "cheap" equipment to get you going, but in the long run it will cost you more and cause you a lot of frustration. Thankfully you found MASA. I really suggest you listen to the advice given on this forum. Take some time to read through as many of the threads as possible.

Thanx for the great advice guys, im trying to read up as much as possible.

Im trying to restrain myself from jumping straight into it as im so excited! but i know, as i have read and been told often, that its all about planning n taking it slow, so ill take the advice and do it properly the first time around.

Oh its a 3ft, 100L tank. Got my eye on another one that i might use as the sump. I read the sump should be 2/3 the size of the tank. But bigger = more stable, so a 100L sump should be good right?

Im trying to restrain myself from jumping straight into it as im so excited! but i know, as i have read and been told often, that its all about planning n taking it slow, so ill take the advice and do it properly the first time around.

Oh its a 3ft, 100L tank. Got my eye on another one that i might use as the sump. I read the sump should be 2/3 the size of the tank. But bigger = more stable, so a 100L sump should be good right?

go as big as possible, take the guys advice offered on here, everyone on the forum has been through what you doing now, and the end result is it will save your money and livestock.

Welcome to

go as big as possible, take the guys advice offered on here, everyone on the forum has been through what you doing now, and the end result is it will save your money and livestock.

Welcome to MASA though

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a new bowini external canister filter? dealers?

Back
Top Bottom