Bowel Evisceration

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by marine101, 27 Feb 2009.

1. marine101

marine101

Sad story guys!

Ive had my 10cm powder blue for a year now, from the day i bought it, it never had white spot:)

I keep a few tangs, powder blue, yellow tang, regal and sailfin in a 1.5M tank. All very happy.

When it became very hot 2 weeks ago, temp spiked a bit out of the usual, and there was a bit of fighting. Unfortunately, the sailfin nicked a huge gap in the powder blues side, bowel hanging out and all. Thereafter the PB started losing weight, stoppped feeding, and couldnt pass faeces, basically a Small Bowel Obstruction (SBO).

1 day ago he died, how very sad, after a year of trouble free swimming! So just out of interest, how many people have had there tangs eviscerated, and of those, how many survived.

So far for me its 1 evisc, 1 death. Doesnt sound good. thats 100% mortality

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hell sorry to hear this, PB is a magnificent fish, sorry for the loss.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry for your loss.

When you say the sailfin nicked the Powder Blue, do you mean he speared him with his tail scalpels ?

5. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Grim... Sorry to hear that.

6. marine101

marine101 Thread Starter

Yep, speared him with the scalpals! 1 clean cut, they get a bit agro when the temp goes up. Such a nice fish!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

My clown surgeon regularly (about twice a month) causes deep gashes in the pencil surgeons side(who is twice the size btw), up to a cm deep but within a week there is no sign of any damage, completely healed. Your gash does sound a lot more severe tho.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

The heat reduces oxygen in the water, Marine101. A lack of oxygen could quite possibly cause increased aggrevation, in the fish...... Like people getting irritated when they are hot and bothered.... causing "unnatural" in-fighting between fish....

9. marine101

marine101 Thread Starter

Yes, apparently the 2 oceans keeps there surgeon tank chilled, Coz they say it reduces fighting. For me also, my tangs used to get into small fights, a scratch here or there. But the latest one quite clearly showed perforated bowel. I think at that stage, theyr a gonna. I am not sure if i should replace the powder blue, fearing this might happen again, or perhaps this was just a freak occurence, i really dont know?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

I would not risk it, unless you can get a PB, way bigger than your Sailfin.

The Sailfin has shown his true colours and sounds like his weapons have matured, so he will use them to show his dominance.

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

Is it possible to take a pic of your sailfin's scalpels? do they look any different to when they are not fully grown? do they extend etc. read a small bit on how dangerous they are but nothin much else
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

sorry to hear bud.

Recent Posts