Bought some more LR, what the heck is on it?

Reaction score
So I just bought some more LR for my 24G Nano (bringing the total to 13kg LR)

Anyway before I put in some of the pieces please would somebody tell me what is on them! :lol:

Brown slimy things
1.jpg

Slimey white thing in middle of rock
2.jpg

Slimey brownish thing
3.jpg

Are they all cool to put in?

Hi Matt - yes - it should be ok to put in your tank.

Here's what I THINK those things are which you are referring to:
Pic 1: Brown slimey things: anemone's - possibly aptaisia
Pic 2: white slimey thing - another type of anemone
Pic 3: not sure....

Once the rocks are in the tank, it would be easier to ID all three....

If they are Aptaisia, or another niusance Anemone Majano, zap em with a couple of drops of Hydrachloric acis in a syringe with needle. That sorts them out.

Maybe someone could help me ID here. Must any of these be removed?

White slime
whitesl.jpg

Another white slimey thing
whitesnotty.jpg

Brown slimey thing
Brownslime.jpg

Little yellow guy
yellowthing.jpg

BIG yellow thing
Yellowguy.jpg

Also can't see him in the photo but this guy is white with a tiny bit of bright luminous green!
Whiteguy.jpg

Here's the amount of coral - 13kgs total now
Tankwithallthecoral.jpg

The white slimy things look like sponges - good guys, as it the little yellow guy (and the big yellow guy i think) - they all like darkness so turn the rocks over but don't bury them in the sand.

Brown slimy thing - not sure if it is aptaisa you will know because it will appear properly given time - if it is, then we will deal with it.

The guy with the lumious green looks like a type of mushroom that has been in the dark too long and turned white - it will soon colour up with a bit of light, but look up rhodactis in the mean time.

Sorry - top picture, brown slimy thing - look like mushrooms closed up give them some light and we will see what they grow out looking like.

Thanks for your help Wee-Man, was a bit worried when people said i could have some nasties in here. If there are any i'm sure they'll make themselves visible?

Little crab dude is back at the pet shop by the way ;)

Try and take the photo's in focus, it's difficult to properly ID when it's all blurry :) move the rock slightly further away from the camera when you take the shots. Poor Wee-man is getting wrinkles from all the squinting :lol:

Haha sorry about the poor quality shots, my digital camera is shot (haha lame)

Will get my girlfriends digital tonight and post some better pics tomorrow. ;)

Try and take the photo's in focus, it's difficult to properly ID when it's all blurry :) move the rock slightly further away from the camera when you take the shots. Poor Wee-man is getting wrinkles from all the squinting :lol:

Thanks Viper, kind of you to point that out:blushing:

Yeah right Wee-Man! :lol:

Then that makes me 8, I me thinks ;-) With 35 years experience!

Matt - you must have added this new live rock to your nano by now - have you seen these "things" come "out" into their natural form yet?

Could you please post some more pics of them while they are in the tank, that we can get a better shot as ID'ing them?

Thanks.

put everything in let it grow for a while and then you can see what the best way is to place the rock to utilize what you already have growing on your liverock. if i get liverock and it has slimies im excited, bonus it is liverock not deadrock

Wee-man: The brown slimey things are RED mushrooms ;)

Also found some zooanthids (some a light pink colour, others cream/pale coloured) very cool!! :)

Will I need to feed them or will they have sufficient nutrients from the LR while the tank is cycling?

Hi Matt - wow! Cool! I wish I could get some live rock with such wonderful finds on them. Not even the expensive Fuji/Malaysian/Caribean live rock I bought had such wonderful things on them! :)

Regarding feeding them - they should get enough "food" from the nutrients in the water, as well as the light in the tank...... you could see if there's any detritus trapped within the rock, and then just force this detritus into the water column for them to feed on.... (use a turkey baster and blow/force water onth the rocks, in the vicinity of the zoanthids and mushies)..... You'll be surprised how much "crap" comes out of the rocks! (even while still newly introduced in the tank!)

Back
Top Bottom