Bottled water for Marine Tanks ?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Cassim, 12 Nov 2010.

1. Cassim

Cassim

Hi there Fellow Reefers

I am a newbie busy researching all aspects as to reef keeping. Staying in Newcastle makes life a bit interesting seeing that we have no LFS. So RO water will be a bit of a challenge. Could i use bottled filtered still water e.g. Nestle 5 Litre's that we find in supermarkets ?

Thanks and Regards

Cassim

2. Guest

3. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

would be cheaper to buy a RO unit

4. 459b

459b Moderator

It will be much cheaper to buy a RO unit.

5. Goby

Goby

if you can get your hands on R.O water it would be the best. As far as i know A TDS reading of not more than 10 is recommended, however anything lower than 5 is highly recommended.

If you go and look at labels on spring water bottles you will be amazed at the high TDS reading they offer. The lowest TDS reading i could find on spring water was 64. Do yourself a favour and go through some brands, and if i'm not mistaken nestle offered a reading well over 100. Check it out...i couldn't believe it.

If that's the only water you can get your hands on, i suppose it would be better than tap water. Well that is at least here by me. My tap water read 144. IMO i would rather buy a RO unit and ship before i use any of the 2.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2010
  6. OP
    Cassim

Cassim

Thanks guys for the advice. Will pursue buying the RO unit instead...thanks

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

speak to marko - the waterboy. He is a sponsor on this forum will make you a good deal ;)

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree, no bottled water - only use RO with TDS of 5 and less. Talk to Marco, our Waterboy, he is in Durbs and a sponsor on our forum. In the meantime, make friends with Chikaboo - he also stays in New Castle and regularly goes to Durbs.
    Send him a private message - he's a nice guy and I'm sure he will help you ;)

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Posted nearly the same time :p

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

As soon as you ready to invest in the R/O we'll get hold of Marco and organise you but untill then you are welcome to come over and collect R/O from me ... you just need to have a super clean container .... dont keep anything inside except R/O and need to give me a few hours heads up as it takes awhile to filter it .... First lets decide what your "goal" tank is going to be ... open up a thread and throw us your ideas and lets get all these reefers minds working to put together an awesome setup for you ....

11. Salti

Salti

Hi im new to the marine world,just wanna know,if i use rain water to topup my tank? Is it ok? I have a 250l tank what % water change should be done? I live in pe and the guys at ultimate aquatics are guiding me just wanna get as much info as possible thx.
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

I doubt rain water s a good idea unless you living in some remote part of the world where there isn't going to be pollutants getting mixed up with the rain clouds ..... use R/O water much less headache in the long run .....
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Nope, no rain water. Rather use RO water with TDS of 5 or less. You're welcome to start a thread in the new member's forum and introduce yourself to us - the guys will give you a nice welcome :)

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

i noticed that the cheaper brands of RO bottled water has the lower TDS.. Says TDS of <20. Valpre has a TDS of 94

Recent Posts