Bossi's first tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Bossi, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Bossi

Bossi

Hi Everyone

Here is what I have been up to in the last couple of weeks. I have read quite a bit and I'm a little confused with all the info I have read through. So here is my game plan.

I have decided my budget is too tight to set up a 3 meter or 2 meter tank as I initially wanted and now im going to do a 1,2m x 0.45w x 0.41h tank with a 1.0m x 0.4w x 0.45h sump.[​IMG]
    Here is a sketch of what I'm planning

[​IMG]
    The overflow is a little bit of a problem but as I understand the larger the area of water falling over the edge the better (surface skimming), so I tried to make it as wide as possible. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The tank should hold approx. 213 liters of water with nothing in it and the sump approx 100 liters. Maybe I can make the sump hold a little more water.

The tanks is a standard 6mm 4 ft tank and i saw on the tank glass calculator that the minimum glass should be 6,9mm. I was thinking of adding the middle brace on top and maybe side braces aswell and dropping another pane of 6mm glass into the bottom thus making the base 12mm. The existing top euro braces are 6mm glass and 60mm wide. The existing bottom bracing are 6mm glass and are 30mm wide.

Then due the amount of weight the stand has to carry I am also a bit worried. Its built from 25mm tubing. Should I weld in a couple of extra supports? The top is angle iron and I am going to put a piece of 20mm shutter board in there before placing the tank on top. At the sump I will also place a piece of shutter board for a base.

Regards Bossi

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bossi

Bossi Thread Starter

Here is some of the goodies I already have.

[​IMG]
    Reef octopus DNW150 and reef octopus 2000l/h pump

[​IMG]
    2 x Sun sun JVP 102 pump with magnets.(5000l/h)

[​IMG]
    The tank in current position with bath water in it and my new lights on top.

I'm not sure if the light will be enough though. I forgot to mention that this setup will be a FOWLR and I would probably like to add some easy beginner's corals later on, way later. It's a HOPAR CE unit with 2 x HE 28w / B and 2x 28w / 10000k T5 globes in it. I dunno what the 28w/B is but they are a blue-ish colour and the 10000k are white.

Does anyone know up to how much water that skimmer can handle? 600L, 800L 1000L?

Then I want to start looking for sand for my tank and have a contact for caribsea. How many kg will i need for my setup and for the DSB and will caribsea work in my DSB or is it to coarse? How can i work out ho much sand I would need?

Then I would also like to work out or know for how much live rock I must start budgeting for?

And then a last silly question? Why can't I go to Kogelbay and get sand for my setup there? I see alot of the durbs and eastern cape guys do it? Or will the warmer water in the tropical tank kill everything in it due to the different environmental conditions?

Hope I didn't bore you guys with too many basic stuff here now??:2embarrassed:

Regardss bossi

4. Sentari

Sentari

No problem Bossi!

Welcome and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. No question is a stupid one. Have a look around and get a feel for what people have done with their tanks. The begginers section is good!

5. Annoying

Annoying

The only thing that limits us in this obby is the salary:lol:. The bathwater tank look like a nice size gona be great tank.

6. Pugsly

Pugsly

this will be a great thread! Keep us posted you are on the right track bossi!

7. Bossi

Bossi Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the light will be enough though. I forgot to mention that this setup will be a FOWLR and I would probably like to add some easy beginner's corals later on, way later. It's a HOPAR CE unit with 2 x HE 28w / B and 2x 28w / 10000k T5 globes in it. I dunno what the 28w/B is but they are a blue-ish colour and the 10000k are white. I think 28w/B is blue. I read that I would need about 28000k of lighting in the lighting section? So does this mean that I have enough lighting? Or will I need some extra lighting with the above mentioned?

Then I want to start looking for sand for my tank and have a contact for caribsea. How many kg will i need for my setup and for the DSB and will caribsea work in my DSB or is it to coarse? How can i work out ho much sand I would need? All depends. What i did is i used the 120cm (w) x 45cm (l) x 2cm (height) and got an estimate. Think i used 20kg. But like i said all depends. Do you want a deep sand bed or do you want a shallow one. Personally i would go for shallow. everyone has their own thoughts. I was thinking of putting in about 3-5cm in my display tank to act as a shallow DSB and having a 10-15cm DSB in the sump. Im not sure if this is the way to go , but im open to suggestions. I also heard from someone that i can have aDSB of 5cm with a mixture of caribsea sand Im gonna get from him? Any thoughts on that?

I hate the limitations of my salary!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would preferably have a 3m X 1m x 1m tank!!!!:biggrin:
    but thats in a perfect world! :banghead:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Regards Bossi

8. Sentari

Sentari

The lighting all depends on what corals you aim to keep? If its just fish your lighting will be fine.

The DSB should be between 10 -15cm you are correct there. The substrate in your Display tank is fine at 3cm. Nothing wrong with that.

Take a look through my thread my tank is basically the same size.

9. Bossi

Bossi Thread Starter

Thanks Sentari

I will take a look.

I will probably only keeping easy corals after about 6-12 month as my tank starts maturing.

Regards Bossi

Recent Posts