Books?

Reaction score
has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations for any good marine books, possibly new editions.

Anthony Calfos books.think Eco Aquatics stocks it

The Reef Aquarium vol 3 by Sprung and Delbeek

I second that. Awesome book. (but expect to pay around R700-850)

Calfo's BOCP (Book of Coral Propogation) is very good but you'll find it more relevant if you're actually starting to farm corals etc. The 2nd edition should be out around now. No point in getting the 1st though if you can't find the 2nd, rather wait a little bit.

I have these three and they're all excellent. Pretty heavy reading, but I read them over and over, and learn more stuff each time:

610BYW0231L._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3: Julian Sprung, J. Charles Delbeek: Books

71FJ8FFW1FL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volume 1): J. Charles Delbeek, Julian Sprung, Charles Delbeek: Books

7189JYANPTL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Vol 2): Julian Sprung, J. Charles Delbeek: Books

As you'll see if you follow the Amazon links, they retail there at about $55 ea, so expensive, but not quite as bad as the quote above, if you get them direct from Amazon. Worth every cent, in my opinion. I'd gladly lend you mine if you were down here in Cape Town ;-)

Q

Howzit Rax, give Andrew a call at Eco Aquatics - you can get a book called REEF INVERTABRATES by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner for R275 I think. I bought one, an excellent read.
He goes into a lot of detail on live rock, substrates and algae - which is very important in my opinion. There is a lot on feeding, selecting and invertabrates like crabs, schrimp, clams, sponges, worms, nudibranches, snails etc. Just about everything you need to know. Cheers

thanx Tobes, I need get around to see this guy for some other stuff as well.

thanx Tobes, I need get around to see this guy for some other stuff as well.

Do you have his contact details? Do you know where he stays?

Quinton - do you find volume 1 worth it considering it's quite old now? I have both 2 and 3 (busy with 2 now - 3 was really good)

Basically 3 is a update of Vol 1, so really dont spend the money unless you just want the complete collection.

Basically 3 is a update of Vol 1, so really dont spend the money unless you just want the complete collection.

If you are referring to The Reef Aquarium, then no this is not true. Volume 1 is mostly about Clams and other coral, with some info on husbandry.

Volume 3 is mostly about husbandry and does not really cover any livestock.

Volumes 1 and 2 complement each other in the sense that volume 2 covers coral not covered in volume 1. However volume 3 is mostly husbandry.

thanks...maybe when i'm finished with 2 i'll get 1. Will be nice to have the whle set...

I did appreciate them all. Just because some of the technology is a bit outdated does not make the whole book outdated. For instance, Volume 1 covers a lot of diseases which none of the others do.

In summary, Vol 1 covers hard corals and clams in detail, Vol 2 covers soft corals in detail, and Vol 3 does not cover any corals, but rather all aspects of aquarium design, chemistry, equipment, general husbandry etc, etc.

If you have the money, then all three are worthwhile, IMHO. If you're short of bucks, you're right, Vol 1 is slightly out of date, and would be the one to drop. Vol 2 and 3 I would say are indispensible. Vol 1 is very good, but I'd guess that there are probably better, more up to date books on hard corals.

Q

Back
Top Bottom