Bonsai trees

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by viper357, 10 Dec 2009.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

So who's got Bonsai trees? Please post some pics if you have, I am wanting to buy one. Any tips?

I would like one that grows outwards instead of up, creating a sort of canopy, any body know what the best ones are for this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cryp

Cryp

I had a couple of bonsai trees untill the frost got them hold of them.

For that type of growth on a bonsai, one needs to trime the top of the tree to force the growth out wards. The best suited for that type of growth would be the African Thorn tree. They are not easy to grow.

4. JD167

JD167

Closest I came to getting one was at Woolies. :whistling: I know nothing about them, but they look very cool though!

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Fraans has an awesome collection!!! about 20 or so

6. FransSny

FransSny

Me....been playing around with them from std 8, get this book dean

the bonsai school...ISBN 1856056821

or i can make a plan to get some articles from it to you :whistling:

7. seank

seank

By the looks of the size of your backyard, you need them...lol

8. Andreas

Andreas

:lol::lol::lol:

9. magman

magman

I had several, but then the monkeys coming in the morning kept knocking them over. Basically they want morning sunlight only, water twice daily with a spary gun.

Must I translate that to reefers terms,

Most lighting should be suffcient from 250w MH to 54w T5's, just make sure the lighting period is only 6 hours. You do want to encourage MHA (moss hair algea).
    Do water changes twice daily with RO water, using a spray/squirt gun, and making sure the substrate is soaked, this will encourage the growth of the MHA.
    No additional dosing is required, maybe every six months change some substrate. Avoid reggies, aroginite, coral chips, go to a garden centre and use potting soil as substrate. Make sure the bowl is plumbed to drain excess water. Easier than most softies. Autumn you can propogate and cut excess growth, however the frags never ever survive. :razz:

10. FransSny

FransSny

LOL magman

Unfortunately your explanation is very limited / basic. just like reefing it would take a LOT of posts to explain the whole hobby.

Lots will depend on species kept, I have 60 year old trees that NEED full sunlight to bloom & carry fruit. I never use a spary gun...damages the leaves when temps start to drop & rise, I use drip system.

Also remember Viper is in a cold & dark place....not only his mind ;)

11. JD167

JD167

Hehe brilliant. :lol:

12. magman

magman

I can imagine Frans, I was obviously one of tose guys without a bonsai forum, sort of like a clown without an anenome, but I guess this is a hobby just like reefkeeping, how about a post with some of your trees. I would think that sitting pruning and working on the trees is just like us working on the tank. Pics!!!!!!!!!

Eish 60 year old trees, that's nearly as old as the mods on the forum!!!!

13. SIMS

SIMS

are you on a forum Frans?

14. Munky82

Munky82

I've got two figs and a spekboom bonzai... which i've been neglecting lately due to my marine obsession. Hey !! I think i know what i'm gonna do with my aqua h2o tank once i got my new tank (that's if it doesn't burst before hand). Gonna grow my bonzais (and who knows what else ) indoors !

15. FransSny

FransSny

Munky I must be honest...been doing the same lately. Word of caution ...I am not aware of any bonsai (sa species) that will grow indoors all the time

Shuan, no, I tend not to play well with others...

LOL magman, I was also a rebel without a clue (lucky I had a very patient dad & after that a very patient father in law). I will post pics (need to do some weeding first :p) 2 morrow. Anybody interested in articles , links etc, pm me

Ya the tempo with the mods are 60 + :lol:

16. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Bly stil koekemoer!!!!

Thanks, I've just ordered one from Amazon, dirt cheap too, excuse the pun :p

:lol: Not too sure how to take that post, perhaps with a pinch of salt :tt2:

:fuk2:

Alan's going to klap you.

:fuk2: again!!!
    Lots of pics please.:)

17. viper357

Bump for Frans ;)

18. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Bonsai is my first love. Are you sure that you want to go down this road? You won't have any time left to spend with Mrs Viper, if the bug bites.(Sorry, a little horticultural humour).

The tree that you select would in nature grow into a canopy shape, but as a bonsai, you must train the tree into the shape that you are wanting. Get yourself a bonsai book from a bookshop to see some pictures of traditional Japanese styles and the rules for creating them. Know the rules before you break them. As with reefing, you'll have more pleasure from the hobby if you do adequate research beforehand. The hobby is less scientific than reefing, but more creative and definitely good for the soul.

Some of the many many trees in my collection. Pity that you're not in an unsafe place anymore, as I have many for sale:

[​IMG]
    Wild olive(olea africana) 80cm

[​IMG]
    Wild olive. 60cm

[​IMG]
    Wild fig (ficus natalensis) 70cm

[​IMG]
    Chinese elm (ulmus parvifolia)

[​IMG]
    Fiddlewood 50cm

[​IMG]
    Azalea 30cm

19. viper357

Stunning Broder, thanks :thumbup:
    There is no Mrs. Viper, I left her in the unsafe place :p

Now that is something that I want. A couple of variations of that, something with small leaves. Thanks for the tips, I have ordered the book that Frans recommended.

From the little bit of reading that I have done it seems that the Chinese Elm is a good tree for beginners to start off with.

Would you recommend starting with a seed or rather with a tree?

20. viper357

What is the tree in your avatar?

21. Broder

Broder Mudshark

You'd do well to join the nearest bonsai club. Every town has one. They'll guide you with which tools to buy, and where to find good stock trees to start on. Chinese elms are great to start on. You should find them at most nurseries. You,ll start by looking for a tree with a visible taper, thick at the base, getting thinner to the top. Scrape the soil away from the base and make sure that there are several roots radiating in all directions. Step 2: wait for the book. It'll show you how to cut it down to size and how to select which branches to keep. You'll only pot it once a shape develops in a year or 2. You can also buy ready potted trees, but you'll regret it later. Best advice is to join the club. Members are always helpful. Single young girls are frequently found at these venues, not that this would interest you.

Recent Posts