Bonsai help

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by Neil H, 21 May 2010.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Help please

I have a bonsai tree and it aint happy

how often should i water and should i "feed" it anything else???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JD167

JD167

I also have 2 and the Bonsai geek told me that it needs to be watered every day and fed a highly consentrated plant food once a month. I have to admit that I don't water it every day though. As long as the sand is moist it's ok. Maybe someone else with more experience can give more info.

PS, some of these Bonsai places will help you out free of charge if you struggle with your Bonsai tree. Just take it back to them for a "checkup".

4. neo

neo

Bonsai have very little soil so not much nutrition, get some liquid food for it, specific to bonsai.
    Then, it drys out quick, the soil i mean, so check it every day and wet it if needed.
    Then, the soil gets hard and compact and needs to be oxygenated from time-to-time, about once a month, you fill a bucket with water, enough to cover the bonsai's container, put the bonsai in it for 30min, take out and let the water drain.
    Needs re-potting every 1-2 years.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ask FransSny guys - him and his wife are bonzai afficianado's! (sp?) They probably have around 20 or 30 bonzai's!

In my opinion Neil - it depends on the type of bonzai plant you have.

The lighting requirements, water and feeding requirements, all depends on the type of tree.

If this is a ficus tree, then it does very well in a very light (but not direct sunlight) area, with water soaking once a week. We feed our 3 once a month. We also spray ours with a water sprayer/mist sprayer, twice a day..... just to ensure that the leaves and the top of the soil stays moist.

We have 3 ficus bonzai's - and this is what we do to keep ours happy.

Talk about that - we have to "trim" ours again this weekend - they are growing out full sized leaves again :(

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What tree is it? I have 2 very good books with a lot of detail about specific tree requirements.

I have a Chinese Elm and it gets watered once a week, the entire plant and pot is submersed in an ice cream container of water and left for 15 minutes to soak, I do this every Sunday.

Mudshark is also a Bonsai guru.

7. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

shit i have no idea what species it is, the leaves are dark green with a white/cream rim, i will post a pic this evening if i get a chance

8. viper357

9. jacquesb

10. jacquesb

Thanks for that, Dean! I too can learn something about keeping bonzai's!

11. SIMS

SIMS

Nice info guys. I tried a tree or two in the past with little sucsess...I think its time to try again.

12. Neil H

here is the saaaad tree .... as a wild thought would this tree naturally loose its leaves

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

13. viper357

My knowledge on this subject is extremely limited, but what I have picked up from reading my books is that some trees do lose their leaves during certain seasons, but some are known to drop their leaves after a stressful move or after being shipped. I think :p Buy yourself some books. ;)

14. FransSny

FransSny

Neil, I cant see the species but here is some thoughts: It could be losing its leaves due to the change in weather. It could be a nutrition issue (use these sticks that you push into the ground to make your life easy...this time of the year take low nitrogen ones), could be overwatering...many things to consider

How long has it been in that pot ? could be a bit root bound...netx month is good transplant time.

Also move it out of that enclove, the heat & lack of airflow is not good

15. colbar

colbar

Neil I think a good idea is to just sip of a little piece and take it to any of the bigger nurseries, i.e. Lifestyle or Garden Shop and let them have a look and tell you what species it is, and then you can go from there. All species have different requirements and habits. It may be decidious, which means it losses its leaves in winter, that may very well be the reason. Has it been moved recently?

16. JD167

JD167

Some do loose their leaves. I have a Chinese Elm tree and it's dropping it's leaves now. The guy I bought it from said that it will. We have some big ones here at the office park and they also lost all their leaves.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2010
  17. Neil H

thanks for the feedback gents

18. jacquesb

Neil - I am not 100% sure, but from that pic, the substrate does look a wee bit dry. I believe that the substrate should always be kept moist. That's what we do with our 3 bonzai's, and they are flourishing.....

Recent Posts