Board chalk

Reaction score
i have been advised by a local pet shop owner to add board chalk into my filter as a calcuim supplement is he crazy or should i consider this he said to use white board chalk only well tell us what you think i think he is crazy but i want to just confirm

Hi Nakoma - get a different LFS :)

Seriously though - I have indeed read that some people use board-chalk - as it is a form of calcium carbonate (CaCO3)... BUT, it is not pure enough. I am sure that at first you would not have problems, BUT, later on the impurities MIGHT cause issues in your tank.

I would rather suggest using "Gebluste Kalk" / "Slaked Lime" (which is Calcium Hydroxide) to make up kalkwasser, if you want to go this route, that is, than using board-chalk....

Another thing that board-chalk could have likely been used for, would have been to increase alkalnity - in that case I would rather suggest using "Baking Soda" (Sodium BiCarbonate)..... this would assist in increasing your alkalinity in your tank's water. Some people say washing soda (sodium carbonate) is better - but at this stage I have decent success with "baking SODA".....

great advice thank i thought he was a bit crazy i have a fish only tank but want to get the calcuris ale to grow nicly so i will go buy some propper calcuim from another pet store rather i dont want to take chances my tank is looking bad enough as it is :blushing: i will use the baking soda though sounds good

Only real problem (apart from possible purity issues) is that calcium carbonate is essentially insoluble and will nto provide enough calcium for yoru tanks needs.

I think this piece of advice is OK if you are running a fresh water system and need increase the hardness a little.

Nakoma - the calcium hydroxide and sodium bicarbonate works very well together....
Only thing that will stop the corraline algae from growing is if you have high'ish phosphate measurements.... IF you are having trouble getting corraline algae to grow - get some or replace the phosphate removal media....

it is growing fine will just like to speed it up a little or feed it maybe a bit can i buy the calcium hydroxide at a chemist or were do we get it from

Just ask for "Slaked Lime" at a chemist - DON'T ask for "Calcium Hydroxide" because they WILL NOT know what it is ;-)

You onlt mix a teaspoon at a time (firstly) white spirit vinegar (I used about a cup-full of vinegar) and then mix the rest with at least 2 litres of either RO water or existing tank water (I have done both - both work)..... The RO water can be used as "top-up" water, as it COULD decrease the SG possibly of the tank (depending how much you put in at a time)..... That said - ONLY add about a maximum of half a cup-full at a time (+-175mm) of the water/calcium hydroxide/vinegar mix.....

Also - do some more reading up on Calcium Hydroxide - ie. kalkwasser usage....

Look at Alan's thread about it as well....

thanks once again for the great advice how mutch would i add to my tank it holds just over 2000 liters

You should start small - as I said - one tea-spoon to two litres of either tank water or RO water (and +-a cup of vinegar), and then add 175ml of that mixture to the tank..... Wait a week - check the results.... if you do not see an increase - double those volumes..... Until you are satisfied.... remember: everything takes a while in marines before it starts to work..... You WILL NO see results immediately.... it will take about a week before you really start to see results....

Back
Top Bottom