Bluespot Jawfish Chronicles

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 30 Jul 2012.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

As some of you know I finally got my Holy Grail of fish 2 weeks ago...the Bluespot Jawfish... and thought I would share my experiences with him so far with everyone.

I dont actually know of anyone else besides myself and @Achilles who have one of these little guys in South Africa so would be nice if there are some other members who have them to post pics and info of their own jawfish on this thread.

[​IMG]

At first he took some time to find a place he was happy with...moving between 3 different spots...one of which was a home I had built for him from a plastic frozen lolly contrainer and some rubble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately he never stayed in the home I built him and move in under a ledge in the middle of my tank and went on to build a tunnel under my Donut coral.

[​IMG]

The first week He didnt eat much...merely watching the other fish and trying to get used to his surroundings I guess as any movement by the othe fish caused him to quickly restact back into his little hole. But he was eventually enticed by some frozen Krill to start eating and it wasnt a day later that he was readily accepting both Prime reef and Spirulina Ocean Nutrition Flakes.

He is now challenging the other fish for food and seems a long way on since his first days cowaring in his little hole.

Yesterday afternoon I have noticed him sitting out on the substrate and not in his hole, I thought it odd but he darted back as soon as he saw me and I didnt think much of it after that.This afternoon I got home to find him sitting at the front of the tank watching the lounge?

[​IMG]

Now I dont think they are supposed to really leave their homes so was a little worried...was something chasing him out of his home or was he just curious as to what was going on in the world?

I didnt want to chance it so bought some chunky substrate from my LFS and went about filling in his hole under the Donut and building it up against the rockwork where he had an entrance to his hole...

[​IMG]

within a minute he was going about starting work on a new improved home...

[​IMG]

He seems happy now with what he has constructed still moving the odd piece of rubble now and then though to fine tune it I guess.

They are awesome to watch as they construct their little homes as they strategically place sand and stone in spots to fill gaps and block unwanted entrances.

Here is a little video I took as he was building... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UL8QUiAszJyjQ&v=8QUiAszJyjQ

Anyway thats it for now...

Last edited: 31 Jul 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. duanead

duanead

This is amazing.its a lovely fish.ONly of the most beautiful fish you can put in a tank

4. Helga

Helga

Aaah Kunhardt this is an amazing little fish!

In my opinion these little guys together with Gobys and Blennies have so much character and are in the end what keeps the conversation going around the tank. Great little guys!!

5. mytank

mytank

Hmmm there are,some landing tomorrow I am thinking of one but got a Bali jaw fish already and apparently they fight like hell

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Agree! I think they are the most eye catching fish out there! :)

Yip they really are what keeps the conversation going around the tank...my family was over from PE this past weekend and my Aunt and my sister spent hours standing by the tank watching my Bluespot Jawfish and feeding him...and neither of them are particular fish lovers. :)

Hmm but the Bluespot is much nicer! ;)

At our LFS though there are 3 Bluespot jawfish and 4 Bali Jawfish sharing a little 2ft tank and they dont really squabble...so it may be possible to keep more than 1 in a tank...especially if its a decent size tank.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

@viper357 how come my vid doesnt show here only the link? I tried a number of different options and still didnt get it to attach here? :(

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Last edited: 11 Apr 2016
  9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Working fine, must be something wrong with the link you used. Always best to use the link in the "share" box directly underneath the video on youtube. That's the one I just used.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2012
  10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

11. Achilles

Achilles

What a great fish!! i love mine had him about 2 years now , they do build burrows in various places if they not happy with their position and the way you helped him out is great, i did the same , what i notice with mine is that his behaviour varies , the bristleworms seem to annoy him if they enter his burrow and can cause him to relocate the burrow .

They want to be in a position where they see the majority of activity inside and outside the tank mine moved to the back of tank 3 times now only to always come back to front glass. Also interesting behaviour sometimes he shuts his burrow with a coral chip/stone if you give them those effectively sealing the door shut, but i have noticed other nights he is very active swimming up and down the glass when all the other fish are sleeping.

In their first couple of weeks while getting used to the tank they are likely to jump make sure tank has net or cover.

Lastly they are for their size able to draw as much attention as a great white shark!, mine's name is moeji and all the women that see him love him and instantly fall in love ;)

They cant compete like other fish for food so you must ensure that enough food drifts in front of their burrow, you made a great choice in fish , i cant praise that more!:thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Aug 2012
  12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

@mytank How about some pics of the new Jawfish! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. crispin

crispin

im def going to try get one of these fellas, love the way yours has made himself at home mark

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im sad i never took one after seeing yours mark, but untill i get the mesh situation sorted im going to wait....

15. mytank

mytank

I just got mine today :)

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I actually took some pictures of a newly constructed home I made, which i will hopefully get a chance to upload tomorrow...it's based on Leslie's yasha goby home design...im still learning a lot from old Les...seems the master still has some tricks up his sleeve. ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Pics! I know you got the prettier one of the bunch...I left it specially for you. :p
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I love this little guy...can watch him for hours...fascinating to watch how he is always working on his house...noticed last night which was quite cool...it actually covers the entrance to its burrow when the lights go off with rubble to stop intruders coming in during the night and he then opens the entrance up again in the morning when he's up and about.
    Posted via Mobile Device

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Yep he is a cute little bugger! I always wanted the american pearl headed ones, thinking of taking a chance with a bali jawfish. Still worried about it jumping though!

20. crispin

crispin

les mate you worry about anything:) just get the fella and cover the tank for a few weeks till he's settled.....and then worry about that shallow reef fast approaching your downward moving body and board!

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

lol Crispin he does...I'm always telling him to stop worring about what could happen in the future and just enjoy his tank in the now! :)

Recent Posts