Blue Zoas - Trying to get the color to show

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Gawiedj, 2 Aug 2010.

1. Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Here's 2 pics I took of my blue zoas.
    I tried to get the color the same as what I see in the tank. (15 000K MH and 2 x 24w blue T5s)

BlueZoas1.jpg

Best effort for the evening.

BlueZoas2.jpg

Lucky Shot of my Sleeper Goby.
    Aperture set to F5.3 (was shooting the zoas and he popped out for his 15min of fame.;))
    A good example of what happens with depth of field when the aperture is wide open.

Luckyshotgoby.jpg

Edit:

Any suggestions on getting better results with the blue zoas will be appreciated

Last edited: 2 Aug 2010
  2. Guest

3. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Do you stop the flow if you do 15 minute shots? Funny what happens to colour in our tank. I have this Zoa that had a lot of white around the edges before I collected it, now it is brown when open with some white when closed.

4. OP
    Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Herkie: 15min Shots lol, no. the pics were shot at 1/50th and 1/20th of a second exposure.
    My problem is that I never get the exact same color as they are in my tank on camera.

I've had the zoas for a long time now. I got 2 on my LR when I cycled my nano and they grew into a big colony over the last year or so. Over the weekend I split the rock they they grew into some smaller colonies and finally have them in a spot where I can photograph them easily.
    Problem is they look like they have more brown in the pics than they do in the tank.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2010
  5. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Thanks Gawie, As you can guess my photographic abilities are not very good. I am trying to catch up on technology after many years of 'Mik en drik' cameras when it seemed a good alternative to buying films. I now get some reasonable manual photos done once in a while and I am so impatient to take some decent photos.

6. OP
    Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Well, like my marine aquarium, photography tests my patience but I love figuring out how to get that pic I want.
    In this case I am getting there, the second pic is pretty close to what they look like in real life.

Recent Posts