Blue spotted stingray

Reaction score
hi all
i got myself a beautyfull blus spotted stingray over the weekend! :thumbup:
he is awsome !! my only worry is that i diddnt collect it from the importer a friend did and he said its sting got caught in the net when the guy was trying to bag it, this has caused some damage to the tail ie. bruising ,but the barb is not damaged at all!
could this end up being a problem?
and secondly i was wondering about feeding ! has anyone had any experience in feeding these fish ? as i understand it can get quite tricky!

thanks a load

calvin

Must I say it? Maybe mekaeel will say it... Or maybe jacquesb... I won't say it, I'll let someone else do the honours...

Rory - here goes.... Calvin - I REALLY HOPE you can keep that poor animal alive.... I know that you wanted this for a VERY long time, BUT....... Now you have it and you are not sure if and what it will feed on??

I am sorry bud, but please understand were this is coming from - I am all with you if you can keep the stringray alive, BUT this would be a really bad loss if the animal dies.....

BTW: just out of interest sake - how big's the tank you have the stingray in? I know you were building/preparing a huge tank?

Good luck with the stingray in any case - please do me one favor?

Keep your eyes open and at the first signs of malnutrition, or bad health, please return it to the sea?

Many thanks.
Jacques

Rory - here goes.... Calvin - I REALLY HOPE you can keep that poor animal alive.... I know that you wanted this for a VERY long time, BUT....... Now you have it and you are not sure if and what it will feed on??

I am sorry bud, but please understand were this is coming from - I am all with you if you can keep the stringray alive, BUT this would be a really bad loss if the animal dies.....

BTW: just out of interest sake - how big's the tank you have the stingray in? I know you were building/preparing a huge tank?

Good luck with the stingray in any case - please do me one favor?

Keep your eyes open and at the first signs of malnutrition, or bad health, please return it to the sea?

Many thanks.
Jacques

Hmmm yes well that was a close second on the list... first was "PICS!"

Lovely creature....I kept one for about 5 months,he/she would eat from my hand.A few personal observations.Provide a large area of fine sand ,aragonite etc.they are very passive creatures and need to remain buried most of the day.Keep boistrous/agro fish away,my tang learnt to peck at the ray when he was feeding to steal a meal .Finely chopped mussel meat was his favourite.They are more active at dusk to night.One day I found him dead for no apparent reason...Will only try again with a species tank...they are not easy to keep,often end up in shipments of fish as box fillers(unscrupolous exporters)..all said...good luck a gracious fish that "flies" in the water.:)

dont know much about stingrays but pics will help :p

Mekaeel it is the one from cassim .I felt so sorry for it ! Jacob iv planned an entire tank around this fish , 2500l of water and he is the king! Im just worried about feeding as iv offered him live crabs and shrimp and frozen hake ,squid an mussel .he just flys away from it

Hi Calvin, which Blue spotted sting ray is it? Is it the blue stingray we get here in our local waters (Dasyatis pastinaca)?

yeah the ship is disgusting!! mekaeel if cassim can show you that ribbon feeding BUY IT i have a black one and they are the most awsome fish on earth!!!!! seriousley its very east to make your tank eel proof and man they have in credible natures!! if you dont get it id take it but im not going to be in durbsfor 2 weeks (grr matric)

jes to stop it climbing
its very rare to get a feeding blue ribbon they often starve to death so id say go for it!! if you need some time i could allways look after it in my species tank

Back
Top Bottom