Blue Sponge Dying

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Al, 10 Sep 2008.

1. Al

Al

Hi Guy's,

Been a while since posted something. I bought a Blue Sponge two weeks ago, It was fine for a week or so. However the sponge has gone white :( . I did release the sponge under water when i put it in my tank. My Water parameter seem fine. Tank is just over 3 months old.

Salinity - 1024
    Temp - 26 Deg
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 10 (bit high)
    Calcium 420
    Phosphates - 0.25
    Magnesium - 1200

Since the sponge has gone white, my tree Coral is looking sick. Can it be the sponge is poisoning the water.?Tube worm doesnt seem to be happy either the last couple of day's.
    </IMG>

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Sponges are realy hard to keep. Not really reccomened to try them...
    Maybe that the sponge dying is affecting the water...I'd take it out now...

Do water change and run some activated carbon to clear the water for the other guys...
    Perhaps some phosphate remover as well...

4. Jaak

Jaak

Hi Al,

Sorry to hear about the sponge.. :( I've also got a blue sponge in my tank. I've had for over 6 weeks now and it's fine. My tank's parameters are very similar to yours except for the Nitrates and phosphates, mine are zero at present. I had a nitrate spike around 3 weeks ago and it did nothing to my sponge. I've also seen that they don't like too much light, mine gets very little light. Did they bag it under water at the LFS? I doubt that a sponge can poison the water as they are some of the best filter feeders, i could be wrong. Let's see what the experienced guys say...

5. Al

Al Thread Starter

Thanks Guy's,

I also had a Nitrate spike last week. Spiked at 40, Came down with a bigger than usual water change on Saturday. Cant seem to find anything on a Blue Sponge. I will probably remove the sponge later this evening.

6. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

The thing with sponges is that our tanks don't really have enough food for them...
    Were you feeding phyto ect? Agreed that they don't like to much light...

7. Al

Al Thread Starter

Im feeding it Kent Phytoplex twice a week, 1/4 Cap. I was feeding my tank with Kent before i got the Sponge.

8. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Your phosphates are pretty high al, what are you doing to bring it down?

9. Al

Al Thread Starter

Im using Seachem Phosguard.Change it 10 day's ago.

10. Jaak

Jaak

I found this when I was looking at getting one. I just don't agree with the light requirements:

Common Name: Sponge - Blue

Scientific Name: Adocia sp. (Full Taxonomy)

Group: Sponge

Origin or Range: Tropical Pacific and Indian Oceans

Relative Size: Average
    (as compared to other saltwater inverts)

Average Lifespan: ??? year(s)

Compatibility: Non-Aggressive
    (as compared to other saltwater inverts)

Animal Description:

The Blue Sponge is a popular sponge in marine aquaria. Its popularity is due to its attractive blue color though this species may not be suitable for beginners.
    The Blue Sponge is known as an encrusting sponge. Encrusting sponges grow across hard surfaces such as rocks. Because this is an encrusting species it has the potential to grow very large, though in aquaria they typically remain medium sized. One reason this species is so popular is that with the proper care it will grow quite well from the smallest piece.
    The Blue Sponge is a bright medium shade of blue color when it is healthy. It will loose its color upon death, which makes it easy to tell which pieces are alive and which are dead.
    The Blue Sponge is a tropical sponge, which is found in the Indian Ocean and the Endo-Pacific. This species is usually found on reefs and encrusting hard surfaces such as rocks and corals. Unfortunately the Blue Sponge is often damaged during shipment. If part of it dies the entire specimen is usually lost. For this reason, many hobbyists will choose to break this sponge into smaller pieces when placing them in the aquarium. Some of these pieces will survive and others will die.

Specific Care Information: Relative Care Ease: Relatively Difficult

The Blue Sponge requires a lot of bright light and moderate water movement to survive. Many beginning hobbyists loose sponges because they do not provide enough light or water movement. These sponges are quite difficult to care for. Some people get lucky, but most hobbyists have trouble establishing new colonies. For this reason they may not be suitable for a beginning hobbyist.
    Like other Sponges, the Blue Sponge feeds on bacteria and detritus that it filters from the moving water. This is why water movement is crucial to their survival. Sponges can usually tolerate changes in water temperature with no ill effect, but they may be sensitive to drastic changes in salinity.

Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease: Average

Like all sponges, the Blue Sponge reproduces asexually. The best way of grow more Blue Sponges is to break a healthy piece into approximately 1 inch pieces and put them in different areas of the tank. Once each piece is established it will grow rapidly.
    Newly broken pieces should not be exposed to air for any longer than necessary. Air bubbles should be removed once it is back under water. Prolonged air exposure will usually kill them.

11. Al

Al Thread Starter

Thanks Jaak. good info.

12. Al

Al Thread Starter

Maybe there's is a chance of saving a piece. Will maybe cut off a a piece thats still blue when i get home.

13. Jaak

Jaak

Cool. Let's wait and see what Warr says as I know he's got some in his tank too...

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have the darker grey sponge and gives no shit, gets eaten from time to time and grows back.

I have some in and out of the light so must be different from the blue ones you have.

15. Tony

Tony

Is the sponge being kept in a dark part of the tank, under a ledge perhaps?

Try and feed a little more especially at night. Sponges also depend on silicates to grow

16. Al

Al Thread Starter

Thank for all the info guy's. I have removed the Sponge, it was completely white. Since i have taken it out, The tree coral is looking much better :( .
    </IMG>

17. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Sponges are definately known to poison water at times. be very careful with them.

18. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

yes even when they stress they will start a cemical war in your tank
    bob how's your tank coming along.?

Recent Posts