Blue Spong coral - now white

Reaction score
I got blue sponge coral, about the size of the average hand, this particular one is white (been so sice I got it, actually bought it white). I notice close to where it is attached to the rock ther is a slight change in shade towrad blue but nothing to write home about, maybe the size of a R5 coin. Will this ever recover and completely blue out, or is this actually meant to be white, or is it dead??

Sounds dead, But I'm not a coral expert. :(

me neither and that is what I assumed too - again, just an assumption, I have hunted online for any helpful info but came up empty handed. Even dead - it doesn't seem to be doing any harm but looking like a big piece of white plastic in the tank, adds color for right now and I am not adding anything to the tank for the next few months so unless it poses a threat to the chemical balance which so far it hasn't, it could just "park off and play dead"

I think you have the some sponge that i have

Mine turned from green to green sea blue(more blue than green)...and is now growing fast.

Mine took about 1 month to change colour....i think it has something to do with light.
It come out of a system that had mostly 10'k globes and my tank is more towards 14'k

Will let you know if its the same sponge once you upload

The sponge i have is called Collospongia it is a photosynthetic sponge( comes from the Indo-Pacific)...so it likes to be in the light

If you have the Blue Haliclona sponge...and it turned white it will deff not be dead...the dead part normally turn brown;)

Sorry for all the posts....

Here is a pic...does it look like what you are talking about?

29104bb21a5d3ea0c.jpg

Deff Collospongia dude

Very bad shape...i wont keep it in the tank...but thats just me.

I dont think it will be able to photosynthesize anymore.....i think direct feeding will probably get it ack...but i wont take the chance

i see you have one more sponge to the right.....that spoge is a non-photosynthetic sponge...you will have to keep it where there is very little light...it looks like its getting brown on the top

same here lanzo, will get rid of it, how long do you have the orange tree sponge in there?
Mine didn't like the bright light.

I got both of them about 2 weeks ago, looking exactly as they are and hoped they would recover to what they should be. It looks like I may very well be taking them back to whee they came from and get a refund...then bide my time to get something better later on after I have done a little window shopping and research.

the tree sponge is fine, just keep it like Lanzo said, in a darker area, mine looked better after a 2 weeks in the shade spot, if you remove it, please keep it under water putting it in a bag, I learned the hard way:(

Your orange sponge has nothing to worry about with the lighting you have. I, well the wife with her hard work and my advice that helps a little, has one in our/her nano for about two years in full light. Light will not kill the sponge UV and lack of nutrients will.

About the blue sponge. I put this blue sponge species in the same basket as aiptasia, flat worm, Bryopsis etc. IMO remove it before it takes over your tank.

Never dose anything you can not measure. Especially in a new tank. Iodine is a delicate element. The effect iodine has on sponges is to disinfect/kill bacteria, most non beneficial in other areas. NEVER DOSE IODINE unless you monitor aquarium concentrations.

Back
Top Bottom