RSS Blue Pipe is the norm for South African aquariums

MASA Admin

Reaction score
This might be of lesser concern to those of you that don’t install more than one tank every five years, but for the rest of us, where’s our colored pipe? Europe’s got the red pipe, we’re stuck with white or grey, meanwhile in South Africa their go-to tubing is a pleasant blue color. Sure the grass is always greener on the other side, or red, or blue, but why can’t we have access to loads of different tubing colors?

America is the home of the free, with some of the best selection of corals, fish and aquarium dry goods so we should have the liberty of choosing from a range of tubing colors. This could come in handy when color coding certain categories of pipes – blue for low pressure draining tubes, red for high pressure feed pipe and maybe green for some of the filtration or closed loops.

In the age of iApple design surely we’d be dying to get our hands on some white tubing if black and grey was all we had. But with so much being spent on more “superfluous” aspects of aquarium design it’s not too much to splurge on some color-coded tubing. We’re looking at you Bulk Reef Supply
icon_wink.gif

The image above is an installation by Dorry Pets*near Johannesburg, South Africa
<h4 class='related_post_title'>Readers also viewed:

gKEGmo2OB60

Click here to read the article...

what about pink?

Wikkies Pompe had at some point black 50mm PVC pipes plus black fittings. All black pipes looked good.

All my Pipping is CLEAR!!!

Love the clear look, where did you find it? Are you not worried that you are going to get algae growth inside the pipes? I had clear piping (tube) on my chiller and use to get a black hair algae growth inside the pipe. Covered it with black electric cord wrapper and it disappeared.

PS, I managed to find 3m of black PVC 50mm pipe today, but only grey fittings.

@2balive ..where did you find the grey fittings...? I read on one or two Threads some were looking for grey fittings but couldn't find any...:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
@2balive ..where did you find the grey fittings...? I read on one or two Threads some were looking for grey fittings but couldn't find any...:blush:

Sam's Irrigation shop in Bergvliet, the grey fittings is just not cheap (and overkill in terms of pressure rating and wall thickness), but looks very nice, was hoping to use grey piping, but black will have to do for now.

Did found a nice black 50mm very sturdy flexible hose at the Cape Town Rubber company, was not sure if PCV cement will work with it, also R80/m, but definitely an option.

Tel: 021 7122345
Childrens Way, Hiddingh Cntr
Bergvliet (Western Cape)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam's Irrigation shop in Bergvliet, the grey fittings is just not cheap (and overkill in terms of pressure rating and wall thickness), but looks very nice, was hoping to use grey piping, but black will have to do for now.

Did found a nice black 50mm very sturdy flexible hose at the Cape Town Rubber company, was not sure if PCV cement will work with it, also R80/m, but definitely an option.

Tel: 021 7122345
Childrens Way, Hiddingh Cntr
Bergvliet (Western Cape)
Thanks for the Info..:)

Love the clear look, where did you find it? Are you not worried that you are going to get algae growth inside the pipes? I had clear piping (tube) on my chiller and use to get a black hair algae growth inside the pipe. Covered it with black electric cord wrapper and it disappeared.

Got the Pipe from Maizey Plastics they have all kinds of sizes! About the Algae, All pipes are underneath my tank in a closed caninet, no sun or light gets in! but if it eventualys grows still looks beter then the blue IMO!!'

Back
Top Bottom