Blue niger trigger

Reaction score
hi guys, i Saw a blue niger trigger today at the pet store, its a stunning fish, was keen on getting it, got a couple of quest.

1) is it reefsafe?
2) my shrimp and hermits?
3) temperment?

its going for R325 is it a bit exp?

sometimes when they grow much larger they tend to attack fish. i consider them reefsafe, my stuff is all hundreds. keep him fed and you won't have any problems. price is decent i guess, got mine for somewhat the same. but it all boils down to personality, but you should be fine
Posted via Mobile Device

Great fish, they are fish hunters, don't go for inverts.

Can be kept in a community tank especially if he is a small boy

Pic of my boy:

1_528488c8c7ce38b6.jpg

THey are a nice addition and of the more peaceful and 'reef safe' triggers around. Really common in the sea, swimming in groups of thousands above reefs.
As recommended above, I would aim at a small fish that will grow in your system. This will result in a more peaceful tank than if you added a large fish. I looked for ages for mine as I wanted a small one. He was only about 25mm when I added him about 6 months ago. He mush now be 60mm easily and shares the reef with 2 male blue throats, a leatherjacket and a pair of sargassum triggers (along with 50 or so other fish).
No problems yet;)

thanks for the info guys. lanzo is bringing me on in next week or so. asked for a small guy... i never knew they were so pretty till i saw it today. and the swimming action is also awesome. WARR does yours eat flakes, pellets etc? or do u have to chuck in chunks of meat?

Niel, that PB of yours has some good colour! nice....

it will eat everythin. mine eats nori out of my hand. as does everythin else in my tank. its a good idea to feed him somethin that will help grind his teeth down a bit so he doesn't take chunks out of other stuff. i feed some hard-ish pellets, i have seen it hover and line up to punch a hole through some rocks to chow what ever it was in there. absolutely awesome
Posted via Mobile Device

Very very very cool fish, eats anything including fingers. They do go for smaller slow swimming fish, mine went after clowns, gobies and ate my baby Anthia, so i sold it. They are also bulletproof! Nice setup over there, but that powder blue is so beautiful, it makes me realise what Ive lost, dam!
Posted via Mobile Device

Great addition to a tank, a fish with personality. As some one did say they are individuals and you may get the odd nasty one but in general i would consider them reef safe.

Mine too is awesome. I love it. Together with my HUGE regal tang, they rule the tank.
Only one issue though - I added a very small damsel during the week - my niger trigger killed the new small damsel..... :( It looked like it wanted to attack the damsel to eat it.

how do they behaive around clams? also looking at getting one but a bit worried if it turns on my clams.

dont mind if it chows my shrimp or hermits or even fish just better not touch my clams!

wrt feeding, is it a good idea to feed it live muscles or will this intice(sp?) the trigger to have a go at the clams?

dont mind if it chows my shrimp or hermits or even fish just better not touch my clams!

wrt feeding, is it a good idea to feed it live muscles or will this intice(sp?) the trigger to have a go at the clams?

I have one for more than 2 years now - I also have a clam, various shrimp, urchins and starfish - none of which he ever bothers. I feed raw muscle as a treat sometimes - he has to fight off a blue lobster to get to it.

He is even outliving a whitespot outbreak in my tank. IMHO a great addition to any reef.

Don't forget though that each fish has a personality of its own.

Feed them anything

Back
Top Bottom