Blue Lobster vs Clam

Reaction score
Can a clam and a blue lobster co-exist. Just managed to get a new clam. This would be my very 1st attempt at clams. Did some reserach but thought I would take a short cut by asking you guys.
1392494d3895d9b6e.jpg
1392494d38a42a923.jpg

My only concern is that the lobster you have will get rather large and they are very clumsy, i don't think it would attack, but quite possibly cause rock falls, other than that - cool.
( a pal of mine had one - it got huge)

No idea on the Blue Lobster, but how tightly is your clam wedged between those two rocks? They need space around them so they can expand and retract their shells.

Sapce to expand

Originally I had the clam much higher up between some live rock. Believe it or not, its so strong that it managed to actually shift rocks apart as it expanded which almost caused a rock fall:whoohoo:.

Now its on the substrate with a very light shell on one side so it should be able to expand.

The lobster is quite lively so i'm sure it would have attacked by now if it wanted to make a meal of the clam. When i feed muscle he actually fights off the much larger fish for it and even swims (or somthing like that) through the water.

My LFS comiited that I could swap the lobster for a smaller one if mine grew out of proportion in the future.

Watch them lobsters around anything...... Their gluttony can wreak havoc.... Have watched one decimate 5 stinging anemones in one week.... They seem immune to the sting and dig food from within the anemone, with fatal damage. W.r.t. it attacking the clam..... It is possible, very possible.,,,Or should I say probable. Once it has grown..... who knows, you might get away with it......... Until the clam shows signs of weekness......

Blue lobster

Yup, ive heard terrible things about these lobsters when they get big, but its such a cool occupant of my system. It currently co-exists with brisle stars and other easy targets with no harm so i will keep taking a chance until its clearly getting too big.

I feed it an entire muscle about once a week which may just be keeping its greed at bay.

Back
Top Bottom