Blue Light needed??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dallasg, 5 Jan 2009.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,

i have a light fitting with 2 t8's, whitish light, and a 150w mh 20000k. see my thread, Dallas' 4ft Underwater Haven
    do i need to add any blue t8's or t5's? i plan to keep corals and anenomes later on

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

You don't NEED to add anything. The colour that you want is up to your personal preference. Corals can adapt to most colour setups.

What they can't do is to cope with too little light. Very few anemone species will be able to live under your lights so be very careful about your choice here.

One thing you should do is lower them a bit.

Thinking about it, if you put in 10000k halides with supplimentary blue lights you would get much higher par readings, and a similar visual effect.

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks, the lights are 19cm from the tank, i can lower them, on a cable pully system.

i have looked at many tanks my size with 4-6 t5's how come mine looks brighter?
    when the tank is older i will add 2-4 t5's tubes, currently only got LR in it

Recent Posts