Blue legged Hermit eating GSP

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by lourensmocke, 2 Oct 2014.

1. lourensmocke

lourensmocke

I've had a blue legged hermit crab for long now and it didn't touch any coral.

I have star polyps in my tank and he doesn't eat those. Last week I bought another rock with a slightly different type of GSP and the first night the hermit ate about half of the GSP's on the new rock!

I placed the new GSP's on a glass for a couple of nights so the crab can't get to them, and it was fine. Introduced it back to the 'landscape' last night and it started eating them again!

Why would this hermit eat this specific GSP? Any ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Same as why do some people like vanilla milkshake and other prefer chocolate. Then again some prefer any milkshake.

4. lourensmocke

lourensmocke Thread Starter

Hahaha Riaan!

I am just curious as to why nothing else was ever eaten, but now the new one's it likes.

At this stage I am comparing the value the crab adds to the tank with the existence of GSPs in my tank. Not sure if he might decide he likes corals now....he might just find a new owner then.....will be a pity though...

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

There might have been some extra detritus or something else stuck in between that he went after initially. Mistakenly taken a small piece of GSP and ... WOW this actually taste nice....

Same as a kid who refuses to eat green stuff, until one day (hopefully) he accidentally do taste it and realizes that he actually misses his moms cooking...

6. VicZA

VicZA

I have just sumped my Blue-legged Hermit as he was becoming an absolute liability !! Initially he was fine with everything. Then one day decided to kill my red-legged and move into his shell (huge shell), then about a month went by and he killed the other blue-legged (who was peaceful) and took his shell (a smaller shell) for about 2 days, then went back to the huge shell. This last two weeks I found him eating my snails (3 dead) ......... had enough ....... he is a bottom dweller now

7. lourensmocke

It seems like it might be a bit of a nuisance when they get bigger. Mine is quite large! Maybe I'll swop him for a small one...

Also knocking over my candy coral every night....

8. stevengrant

stevengrant

Maybe the GSP is not completely healthy from transporting etc. You might find that after being in your tank for a while that it becomes healthier and then your hermit crab will leave it alone.

9. lourensmocke

Thanks, I will monitor the two and keep the GSP away from the hermit for now.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I must admit I have never heard of a hermit crab eating corals...if this is in fact true in your case, I agree with Steven in that if it is in fact eating your new GSP's it would more than likely be down to the fact that there is die off and they are scavenging off the decaying remains.

Recent Posts