Blue Cleaner Wrasse & Two Oceans Aquarium water

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Marine007, 27 Jul 2012.

1. Marine007

Marine007

Ok, so 2 new questions:

I have a two Boyu 550's (128l each).
    The one has two tomato clowns which seems farely mature.

I'm thinking of adding a blue cleaner wrasse to the tank.

Would the two clowns have enough on them for him to eat?
    Do I need to add food for him? Any advice or links? (I did search but nothing popped out - maybe I should search under a different name?)

Also I understand that if you have a membership at the Two Oceans Aquarium you can get free water. I take my daughter almost every weekend to the Aquarium if the weather is bad. So thinking about buying a family membership in any case. Do any of you use the water they supply?

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Cant help with the water question...but with regards to the Wrasse...they dont need to feed on parasites on fish to live...they eat the same foods as your other fish would eat...mine eats flakes, frozen and even Nori. The problem you may have though is introducing a new fish to a small tank with those Tomato Clowns they can be very aggressive and territorial. If they dont bother him then I dont forsee any problems for the Cleaner Wrasse if he is in good health.

4. crispin

crispin

personally i wouldnt suggest a blue cleaner wrasse in the situation you describe. generally they do best in a fairly large mixed reef set up where they have a number of different fish to clean and thus dont harasse just one or two indivual fish, which would be the case here. The aggresion of the clowns might well mean that the more docile cleaner wrasse gets bullied (often to death) and the blue cleaner wrasse is known to have a very poor survival in captivity over a long period of time.

best to pass this fish over in ypur current tank I think

5. Marine007

Marine007 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm cycling a larger tank. Will reconsider (and re-research) when the tank is fully cycled and I start adding livestock.

6. 2balive

2balive

You can also consider a blue neon "cleaner" goby. Looks great and much easier to care for than the wrasse.

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Been using two oceans water for a couple of years now and have no problems with it.

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

From what I read...in a nutshell...removing parasites from other fish is their primary diet...you'r 2 Clowns will never be able to sustain it...actually I don't think Clowns "park off" at a "cleaning station"...mine sure doesn't...I also read that...although they will accept substitute foods, apparently they will still, in the long run, die of malnutrition...you need a larger Tank with more Tankmates...although all Articles still advise not to buy this Cleaner Wrasse...
    http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/cleaner-wrasse.html
    http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/wrasses/CleanerWrasse.php
    http://piratefx.hubpages.com/hub/cleaner-wrasse

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Now this is where I think there is a lot of out of date information on the internet...I know that they can be problem fish to settle in, but I have had mine for almost 3 years now...grew from a baby at about 1cm into the adult it is today. And I know of lots of people that keep them successfully.

I cannot believe that they will die from malnutrition if they do not eat parasites off other fish...wouldnt all our fish then die from malnutrition since they are eating the same food? Mine as stated eats anything you put in the tank including Nori and I believe most of them are the same...not fussy eaters. Mine Cleaner wrasse although now and then cleans other fish...seems to be off on his own mission most of the time, so highly unlikely that he is getting enough food this way from fish in my tank.

Dawie002 likes this.
  10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yep, gotta agree with Kunhardt. I've never had trouble keeping cleaners alive. I've grown a number from 3cm to adulthood purely on flake and nori. I do think that it's quite important to buy smaller specimens rather than larger. They're less set in their ways.

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I do understand how you feel about the Info on the Internet...but as a Newbie I, he, she does not know which info is out dated and which is not...so I prefer to err on the side of caution and state the "general internet info" as a Guideline...would you not want them to wait the 9 months for the Nennie....6 months for the Sleeper Goby...9 months for the Mandarin etc...some might be out of date but still very revelant info for a Newbie...I wouldn't want to tell them the Info on the Internet is out dated and have them ignoring half of the "spec's sheets"...most of them don't even surf the Web in the 1st place...hence Nennies, Mandarins...etc in new Tanks...Tangs in BOYU's...etc...

I do know that many do have Cleaner Wrasses in their Tanks...hence I said...
    but I do believe their is still some truth to the difficulty in trying to keep them alive in captivity...put it down to "err on the side of caution"...especially if it's in a small Tank and will end up eating substitute foods only...as it's my understanding that they are classified as obligatory feeders...

... and my refering to the Article which states that you still shouldn't buy them is based more on the "Debate" about the impact it is having in the removal of the Cleaner Wrasse...
    http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/wrasses/information/CleanerWrassesInTheAquarium.php

12. Marine007

Marine007 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info - I also prefer to be cautious and value all the advice I get here. It is not fun when something dies and therefore I appreciate all the advice I get here. (Advice at most LFS is "no problem it will be fine")

I'm keeping an eye open for a neon blue goby in the meanwhile.

Also thinking of getting a few blue/green chromis for my other Boyu (currently 2 Percula clowns in there). Any thoughts on this?

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think this is where experience comes into play.. i have seen cleaners paired and kept for 10 years + they were so fat they looked like sardines, i think its the same as any fish, some cope to captivity and some not... depending greatly on how they are handled during capture etc..

personally i would opt for a cleaner shrimp over a cleaner wrasse.. they provide more functions for the space they occupy (food production through eggs, cleaning of fish and scavanging for trapped food) and take up no or very little swimming space at all..

saving place for another fish :)

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

@belindamotion I think whats best in these sort of situations, and something I always do when researching a coral or fish I am not sure about, is to check the date of posts on the internet...I look at older posts and see how they compare to more current info on the livestock in question. A lot of the time you find older info conflicts with current info as we have advanced even over the past couple of years in what we can maintain in our systems at the same time you will still find facts from older posts and current posts that are relevent and wont change no matter how we advance.

In this case however I do think Blackadder has hit the nail on the head with the younger you get them the better they do and you have more chance of breaking that instinct to only clean fish as a food source.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes and no.
    I currently have 2 tanks. My oldest cleaner is older than 2 years and happy. Eats even flakes.
    In my other tank I also introduced a cleaner. And it just did not make it. Had 3 big fish to "harvest" whereas the older one got a couple more diner places. So yes, not enough hosts and it does not adapt well.

And take note, cleaner wrasse do not help for whitespot either. (Maybe a bit, but not much
    ). the WS is embedded under the fish scales, so it is difficult for wrasse to get to WS. And the wrasse can also get WS.
    Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Recent Posts