blue cheek/yellow head goby

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Afsal, 17 Oct 2009.

1. Afsal

Afsal

i m interested in getting the a pair of the above , can anyone provides details for me on this fish from their personel experiences

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Lovely fish, they really awesome was my first fish, just mess sand everywere over corals

4. Tony

Tony

Those fish are sand sifters which means that they need a lot of sand in a large aquarium to keep two happy. The tank also needs to be mature so that the sand can grow a population of micro organisms enough to feed the fish. Trhe substrate needs to be very fine so that they can expell it through their gills without damaging them and injuring the fish. Like Johan said, they do put sand all over your corals which can drive some people to insanity

5. marine101

marine101

Dont get them, unsustainable in the home aquarium
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. FransSny

FransSny

Leave them, they will not survive in the long term

7. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

I tend to dissagree with the two above statements, they are not very hardy and need lots of the food they eat therefor if you have a tank that has a lot of sand and is mature then your tank should be able to sustain it. As for two together i think it will be almost impossible. Mine started eating frozen after a week and was stil malnurished no matter what i fed him.

small tank = dead goby

8. marine101

marine101

Interesting, how big a tank and what do u mean by mature sand? Surely if one can be kept easily then 2 can b kept as easily if the sand volume is doubled? So then not nearly impossable? But we still dont know what a big tank is? Probably makes it impossable? So very confusing
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. davidfr7

davidfr7

10. marine101

marine101

I love that quote under common problems, its really funny. Anyway, what we should b asking is has anyone had success with them for over lets say 1 year compared to those that have died under a year, i can personally put down 3 dead in a mature 800 litre tank at different times
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. Tony

Tony

Cool, let me rephrase it. I suppose one could have a four foot tank with just one rock which will be enough to keep one alive or one could have a six footer full of rocks which wouldn't be enough to feed one. Seeing as we try and get as much in our system lets use the amount of sandspace needed. IMO I would work on about 1/2 a square metre of sand surface area per adult animal to possibly keep it alive but that's just me.

What I meant about mature tank is one that has had enough time for the sand beds to become populated with micro fauna which the goby feeds on. In an immature tank or one without sufficient sand area the animal can quickly deplete what food is available slowly starving it to death

12. wiesnerm

wiesnerm

I have one of these for about 8 months now and it is a really interesting fish to have. When I first got mine, it did not want to eat any additional food that I provided and he started to look rather thin (anorexic). Then I tried and gave some live brine shrimp and he started to feed on that. Now he is eating frozen brine shrimp as well as pellets and he now seems to be thriving and he has got his figure back.

The only drawback (as already mentioned) is the landscaping that is done all over corals and rock.

13. David Chaikin

David Chaikin

Hi Afsal.. know your post is a few wks old but did u get this fish? I have one and I love him to bits.... he eats EVERYTHING .. flakes/balls/mysis shrimp, etc.
    He is very happy and was in the tank prior to me acquiring it - so he has survived for 2yrs. I have about 3 inches of sand (in some parts), and he goes at it non-stop :)

Barbs

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got mine already over a year.

And it even survived living 5-6 months in a normal 90L tank. He eats everything, live food, frozen food, flakes. Everything I throw in except Nori.

Yes, they are sand sifters. So yes they sift the sand all day long looking for food. So to start off with until he does eat other stuff, you must ensure that the sand have enough stuff in it for it to eat.
    • Do not have deep sand in your display, they will dig deep and under your rocks.
    Then something that I observed. I used to have crushed coral. And switched to playsand when I did my tank move.

But with the crushed coral, he takes a mouthful, swim up about 15cm and sift it out. Dropping crushed coral over everything flat and low. But with the playsand, he takes a mouthful and only swim up max about 5cm. Dropping less sand over stuff, because he is sifting lower down and the sand is lighter and there for can be blown away easier.

Nice Fish, but ensure you do not have plate corals or other stuff lying on the substrate, or he could cover it up for you.

15. Boendoe

Boendoe

Dude if you love your tanks landscaping don't get them they will redecorate it for you. If you want a sand shifter get a diamond goby.

[​IMG]

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I had an orange spotted diamond goby - eating everything like pellets and frozen. He even stole the piece of shrimp I feed the bubble coral sometimes. He was thriving for a few months until.... carpet surfing :( - something must've given him a sudden fright.

I have plates and he didn't really make a mess - he never swam up and dropped the sand (playsand).

I'm still sad about the loss :012:

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I agree, these are my favourite sand sifters, in my experience they don't make as much mess as the other types.

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Here, have a tissue...
    [​IMG]

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:nah: :finger:

Recent Posts