Blotches on zoas

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of zoa colonies and noticed these spots (loooks like its under the skin) on one of the colonies.

The others are not affected. It seems that the polyps with these spots shrinks a bit.

I have read about zoa pox, but not sure if this is the same? Any ideas and how to treat it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
It's a guess, it looks like you might have some form of parasitic slug or snail. The top picture has mucous trails and those white "grains" could be eggs. Is this a new rock you acquired, did you dip the rock?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes they are both new. I have done a reef dip (iodine) on both. Both were fine for about a month, all zoas opening, but now started doing this. What other dip could you recommend if it is a snail or parasite? Thank you.

Reaction score
I have found these snails. The small one were on the zoas, but also elsewhere in the tank. The big one I found on zoas, but an unaffected colony.

Reaction score
Most eggs are pervious to dips as they have protective shells, do another dip today, then you'll have to do several dips for the next few weeks until the eggs hatch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Take a pic of the snail. If they are laying eggs on Zoas then they are most likely eating them too. They do this to get larvae close to the food source.

RiaanP

Reaction score
the big snail is a sundail. A definite zoa predator. The small ones are too small to ID properly, but htey do look like small sundail snails.

Is the shell shaped the same as the big one?

Reaction score
Top Bottom