Blotched Naso tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by gaboon, 6 Oct 2008.

1. gaboon

gaboon

[​IMG]

I bought this fella on Saturday and only noticed the blotches when he went in the tank. What is it? I heard Naso's are prone to this but not sure. He's also not eating flakes or nori but I do see him nibbling off the LR. I have started cutting nori into tiny pieces to try get him going. Any other suggestions to get him feeding.

The Yellow tang gave him a bit a grief but has calmed down. Getting on like a house on fire with the Regal. The Regal however got white spot in the last 24 hours.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Gaboon - Naso's "change color"..... mine also does this, every now and again. They sometimes seems to do this when they are in the "fake chase or being chased" mode....
    You know how tangs sometimes seems to do a dash for a hideaway, when they THINK there MIGHT be a predator around? Then my naso's sometimes (not always) go dark with these white'ish spots on them.....

NOTHING to worry about....

It should get it's "natural" coloration back once it has really settled in nicely.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

He is still a little stressed out - give the fish a chance.... as long as it starts to feed within the next 48 hours..... BUT - that said - it would / could go another few days without food....

5. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks Jacquesb, I've had a really crappy 2 weeks with new fish (5 dead thanks to the sixline) so stressing a little.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Agree with J. My Naso has these colour changes when he goes from under the reef (dark) to the brighter surface. I think you should worry about getting him feeding. Try Omega One First Flake

[​IMG]
    First Flake
    There are many causes of stress in an aquarium environment. Most often this takes place when you first introduce a new fish into you tank. The usual result is a lack of appetite, which can be deadly. Lack of on-going, consistent nourishment can quickly lead to disease or other health problems. First Flake has been carefully formulated to satisfy all of the needs of both fresh and saltwater tropical fish and offers the added benefit of super charged attractibility. This comes in the form of fresh marine fat, and lots of it. First Flake should always the very FIRST food you feed a fish that is new to your aquarium or a fish that is stressed in any way. It is also excellent as a growth food as well as a once-a-day treat food.

7. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks Warr, I'll get tomorrow. Hope she takes it.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

normal for this species.. just keep well fed as mentioned.. lovley addition..

9. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Yeh they are awesome! I've placed some pieces of nori around the LR so hoping he/she gets stuck in.

Warr, its says first flake must be the first thing you feed to a new fish, do you think it matters I've already tried the normal flakes, nori, frozen, cyclopeeze?

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

Nope, due to it's super charged contents, it's like a Vitamin B injection, so a small amount keeps the fish happy, while it goes through this initial adjustment.

11. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Got home now with First Flakes but the naso is missing. I blame myself, need to change the introduction routine, sump them for a while and make sure they are feeding first!

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

Bad luck dude, sump idea is always good

Recent Posts