bloated convict?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by scubaninja, 2 Mar 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

hi guys, been lookin at the tank after addin the new sand bed and had a glimpse of my one convict. its about six cms long and fairly skinny, but it has a huge swollen belly. i've noticed it bein shy recently but thought nothin of it. it looks painfully swollen. anyone got any ideas?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

is it eating? remember they need to eat algae, your tank is still new, how much growth does it have?

not sure on the bloating....

4. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

oh its feeding. sure. eats flakes and pellets, as well as the nori. So his is why it bugs me. the other tangs are fat but not like this, its abnormal

5. goodisor

goodisor

Hey Scuba.When you say fat...how fat do you mean.My sailfin was huge the other day and isnt much smaller yet,also just his stomach was bloated.Good reason for it was he gorges himself on pellets flakes algae strips and artemia and he constantly cleans the glass.Can only be that he is stuffed.Hope its the same with your convict:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. scubaninja

na not quite:) thats how fat my sailfin is:) this little guys stomach sticks out so much that i can see bumps/details on it, maybe two or three times, maybe four times the width of his body. i just cant get a decent pic cause he wont sit still for two seconds, that and my i only have my phone. But thanks for the ideas, i hope it isnt serious:( it doesnt look like he eats enough to be that fat. he does eat a fair amount, just not like the others so how could he be so fat on nothing?

7. lIghty

lIghty

could it not be some type of worms?

Last edited: 3 Mar 2009
  8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

It is unfortunately VERY difficult to say, without a picture, Stu.
    BUT - try and monitor the fish.
    A few questions:
    - does the fish look lethargic to you at all?
    - does the fish's fecal matter look "normal" (ie green - like it was eating enough green stuff/roughage - or white and stringy)?
    - what does the fish eat predominantly? Meaty foods? Or Sea veggies?
    Remember - surgeon's and tangs' gut's are "Designed" more for sea veggies, than for meaty foods. Even though these fish adapt to eating meaty foods - they should STILL be getting a big percentage of green/sea veggie foods....

9. Tony

Tony

Good questions Jacques. It sounds like it could be an internal parasite but I cannot say without a pic. PLease post one

10. scubaninja

guys like i said, i can't get a decent pic. it swims about a fair bit. when i fed this morning he swam in amongst the food but did not eat anythin. what it makes me think is that he's reacting to the flakes etc . like he can't poo cause he can't process it so he's blocked. he's a local fella so it may be that he's never had it before. will see if he takes more nori later on or if it could be a parasite. can't exactly see any worms.
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. goodisor

goodisor

Hmmmm.You know my convict will not even consider anything but veggie stuff.I have to keep plenty of those algae strips available for him.No matter how much artemia comes within bite range he wont take a bit.I do worry about my sailfin though.He eats alot of the veggie stuff but ALOT of the meaty stuff too and he's a bit bloated(The pics dont show it properly)Anyone who sees him says WOW that fish is rather fat.I wonder if you are maybe right Scuba,perhaps the pellets and meaty stuff are not agreeing with his stomachand he is bloated because of it....like my sailfin.....You've got me thinking.:p

12. jacquesb

One suggestion, perhaps, Stu. Catch the fella. Put it in a quarantine tank. But don't feed it for 2 days (sorry that I am making SUCH a suggestion). See if you can see more of the fish/stomach - and try and take pics....

13. goodisor

goodisor

Just to add...my sailfin has gottin to the point where he looks like he's got cellulite on his stomach...all bumps and dents and stuff.But at the same time he has not stopped eating and he's is very active.

14. jacquesb

LOL! You guys should (in real life) how FAT my tangs are! All 3 of them! BUT, none of them are out of proportion.

15. goodisor

goodisor

Excellent suggestion,I was about to say the same thing as you can force him to only eat veggie stuff for a while.Have you got that algae strips with garlic that really gets them going...........The only trouble is,have you EVER tried catching a convict tang in your tank before,MAN that dude can be elusive when he needs to be.I tried once,wont ever do it again!!!!!!:p

16. scubaninja

yeah even i can notice my tangs are fat, seeing them morning and evening, but my tank is young and thankfully devoid of GHA:thumbup:(so far) so there isnt much greens to feed otherwise so i have to give them lots of nori
    sorry jb, cant happen. its impossible to catch anythin other than hermits in my tank. i'd have to rip it all up. But seeing earlier he wasnt interested in flakes(possibly cause he came from the sea) so its only interested in nori. will try target feed him
    this is exactly what i see, bumps and dips etc. This is what got me worried in the first place
    yeah catching it is seriously not an option

17. seank

seank

I have all of my fish on a strict seafood diet... lOl

18. scubaninja

what do you feed sean? besides feeding rock cods?lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

19. seank

seank

Most of the stuff that comes outta da sea... Clams, oysters,seaweed,red plankton,phyto plankton ,krill,mussels,roe,artemia, mysis, spirulina,flakes etc

20. scubaninja

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????? ive been paying for flakes the whole time and you can get them out the sea? damn:razz::lol:

I have just got home and the convict is pecking on the nori everynow and again, but is not as vigorous as usual and it seems that looking again he might be at his threshold for how big his tummy can get, i am expecting a monster poo soon or an explosion:(

21. Tony

Tony

Ia the area behind the head sunken at all?

Recent Posts